Victor Electrola 918D

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: Victor Electrola 918D

Post by marcapra »

Oh! Excuse me! Well at least you know what you're doing. Can I have one of those 250 tubes? I have an Edison C-2. I had another tube modified to substitute for the missing 50.

victor 15-1
Victor I
Personal Text: to own an electrola is a blessing

Post by victor 15-1 »

marcapra wrote:Oh! Excuse me! Well at least you know what you're doing. Can I have one of those 250 tubes? I have an Edison C-2. I had another tube modified to substitute for the missing 50.
I would be most happy to send you a later ST style 50.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Congrats. It is a beautiful machine.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

victor 15-1 wrote:[YouTube][/YouTube]
marcapra wrote:Nice machine from 1928 I believe. I think it has a 50 power amplifier tube, which is expensive. If you paid the full asking price, I hope it's in tip top shape. The ad doesn't mention anything about the playing condition of the radio and phono. Usually that means it doesn't work.
I have about 45 globe ux250s in stock that I have been saving for the last 40 years and have restored a dozen radiola 64 electrolas and panatropes over the years. With about 15 spare amplifiers and chassis AP777-C, I will be good top go.
I had Milwaukee Resistor replicate the two large wirewound resistors underneath
so I do not have to mess with making up values from separate units. Restored the first of my two 9-54s in 1977 and still going strong!

the 216 version of the 81 might be harder to find

yep pre internet (and ebay) 50 tubes were not all that expensive ....in the late 70s a NOS in original box was maybe 50 bucks
and used tested were 20 tp 40 .....because I have always been fond of late 20s radios I gathered almost 400 type 45 tubes
glad it got a good home!.....

victor 15-1
Victor I

Post by victor 15-1 »

FloridaClay wrote:Congrats. It is a beautiful machine.

Clay
Thank you,Clay
They are under appreciated by the rank and file sadly

Garrett

victor 15-1
Victor I

Post by victor 15-1 »

Vinrage_mania wrote:
victor 15-1 wrote:[YouTube][/YouTube]
marcapra wrote:Nice machine from 1928 I believe. I think it has a 50 power amplifier tube, which is expensive. If you paid the full asking price, I hope it's in tip top shape. The ad doesn't mention anything about the playing condition of the radio and phono. Usually that means it doesn't work.
I have about 45 globe ux250s in stock that I have been saving for the last 40 years and have restored a dozen radiola 64 electrolas and panatropes over the years. With about 15 spare amplifiers and chassis AP777-C, I will be good top go.
I had Milwaukee Resistor replicate the two large wirewound resistors underneath
so I do not have to mess with making up values from separate units. Restored the first of my two 9-54s in 1977 and still going strong!

the 216 version of the 81 might be harder to find

Two glowing 216Bs next to a 210 in a Tomcat amplifier is awesome!
yep pre internet (and ebay) 50 tubes were not all that expensive ....in the late 70s a NOS in original box was maybe 50 bucks
and used tested were 20 tp 40 .....because I have always been fond of late 20s radios I gathered almost 400 type 45 tubes
glad it got a good home!.....

RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Post by RolandVV-360 »

Only an hour and a half away from me. I would've jumped on it if I'd seen it earlier. Good luck to you, my friend.

(P.S. if you want to stop by in Charlottesville and let me have those filthy records, I would happily take them off your hands. :lol: :lol: :lol:)
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

rvwenger
Victor I

Post by rvwenger »

I probably speak for a lot of us when I say congrats and could we see the detailed process when you restore this. Lots of pictures of what your doing. I know I would find it very interesting. Most of us will never have a chance at a unit like this and it would be great to see it come back to life in detail. Again, congats on this. It's nice when fellow members can help each other.

victor 15-1
Victor I

Post by victor 15-1 »

rvwenger wrote:I probably speak for a lot of us when I say congrats and could we see the detailed process when you restore this. Lots of pictures of what your doing. I know I would find it very interesting. Most of us will never have a chance at a unit like this and it would be great to see it come back to life in detail. Again, congats on this. It's nice when fellow members can help each other.
I have been a member only a few months and machines aside it has been heartwarming as well..thank you all for the kind words.

Garrett

victor 15-1
Victor I

Post by victor 15-1 »

RolandVV-360 wrote:Only an hour and a half away from me. I would've jumped on it if I'd seen it earlier. Good luck to you, my friend.

(P.S. if you want to stop by in Charlottesville and let me have those filthy records, I would happily take them off your hands. :lol: :lol: :lol:)
How much you want to bet they are all red Columbia Harry James ! (I hope there are no Harry James collectors offended by that statement)