VV-50 "M L Price Music Co, Tampa Educational Dept"

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
mattrx
Victor IV

VV-50 "M L Price Music Co, Tampa Educational Dept"

Post by mattrx »

VICTOR VICTROLA VV-50 Mahogany -Unusual--Marked "Educational Dept"(Ebay Item ID: 183362921525)

This machine came to me some months ago. I had not seen one stenciled this way before and found it interesting. https://www.ebay.com/itm/183362921525

Matt
Attachments
P1030675.JPG
P1030676.JPG
P1030677.JPG

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: VV-50 "M L Price Music Co, Tampa Educational Dept"

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Very interesting!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I agree. It adds interest. Jerry B.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Wonderfully crazed surface. Is it oak or mahogany? I'm going with mahogany. The reason you can't tell --or at least I can't--is because the crazing scatters the reflected light so the grain is hidden. I have an article written by a museum conservationist that details a method whereby one coats a deteriorated surface with a compound that has a similar index of refraction to shellac. One applies the material, it fills in all the nooks and crannies, and the wood grain emerges. Furthermore it is reversible; the coating is removable w/o harming or disturbing the original surface. Examples are given when applied to some 18th C American furniture. This looks like a candidate although of course one would want to practice on something else first. I can supply the article if anyone should want it.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

jboger wrote:Wonderfully crazed surface. Is it oak or mahogany? I'm going with mahogany. The reason you can't tell --or at least I can't--is because the crazing scatters the reflected light so the grain is hidden. I have an article written by a museum conservationist that details a method whereby one coats a deteriorated surface with a compound that has a similar index of refraction to shellac. One applies the material, it fills in all the nooks and crannies, and the wood grain emerges. Furthermore it is reversible; the coating is removable w/o harming or disturbing the original surface. Examples are given when applied to some 18th C American furniture. This looks like a candidate although of course one would want to practice on something else first. I can supply the article if anyone should want it.
I would definitely be interested in reading this article. Maybe you can post it here, if that's not possible then please PM me.

Thanks
Andreas

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Yes, please post the article...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Very happy to post it, but where? This particular board doesn't seem appropriate.

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

alang wrote:
jboger wrote:Wonderfully crazed surface. Is it oak or mahogany? I'm going with mahogany. The reason you can't tell --or at least I can't--is because the crazing scatters the reflected light so the grain is hidden. I have an article written by a museum conservationist that details a method whereby one coats a deteriorated surface with a compound that has a similar index of refraction to shellac. One applies the material, it fills in all the nooks and crannies, and the wood grain emerges. Furthermore it is reversible; the coating is removable w/o harming or disturbing the original surface. Examples are given when applied to some 18th C American furniture. This looks like a candidate although of course one would want to practice on something else first. I can supply the article if anyone should want it.
I would definitely be interested in reading this article. Maybe you can post it here, if that's not possible then please PM me.

Thanks
Andreas
Same here! I'd love to read such an article as well.

As for the finish, it is mahogany...worn a bit, but mahogany.

Matt
Last edited by mattrx on Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

jboger wrote:Very happy to post it, but where? This particular board doesn't seem appropriate.
Maybe the "Tips, Tricks & Tutorials" section?

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

I put a link to the article here and I have also scanned the article to make a pdf, which I can send to people of they like. Here's the link: http://www.wag-aic.org/2001/WAG_01_heginbotham.pdf