The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: VV-50 "M L Price Music Co, Tampa Educational Dept"
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:45 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:55 am
Posts: 856
Location: Bartlett, TN
VICTOR VICTROLA VV-50 Mahogany -Unusual--Marked "Educational Dept"(Ebay Item ID: 183362921525)

This machine came to me some months ago. I had not seen one stenciled this way before and found it interesting. https://www.ebay.com/itm/183362921525

Matt


Attachments:
P1030675.JPG
P1030675.JPG [ 5.57 MiB | Viewed 537 times ]
P1030676.JPG
P1030676.JPG [ 5.61 MiB | Viewed 537 times ]
P1030677.JPG
P1030677.JPG [ 5.61 MiB | Viewed 537 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VV-50 "M L Price Music Co, Tampa Educational Dept"
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:13 am 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:12 pm
Posts: 744
Location: Lubbock, Texas
Very interesting!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VV-50 "M L Price Music Co, Tampa Educational Dept"
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:53 pm 
Offline
Victor Monarch Special
Stop for a visit when in Oregon.
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:25 pm
Posts: 5754
Location: Albany, Oregon
I agree. It adds interest. Jerry B.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VV-50 "M L Price Music Co, Tampa Educational Dept"
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:30 pm 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:12 pm
Posts: 739
Wonderfully crazed surface. Is it oak or mahogany? I'm going with mahogany. The reason you can't tell --or at least I can't--is because the crazing scatters the reflected light so the grain is hidden. I have an article written by a museum conservationist that details a method whereby one coats a deteriorated surface with a compound that has a similar index of refraction to shellac. One applies the material, it fills in all the nooks and crannies, and the wood grain emerges. Furthermore it is reversible; the coating is removable w/o harming or disturbing the original surface. Examples are given when applied to some 18th C American furniture. This looks like a candidate although of course one would want to practice on something else first. I can supply the article if anyone should want it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VV-50 "M L Price Music Co, Tampa Educational Dept"
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:59 am 
Offline
VTLA
User avatar
TMF Moderator
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:36 am
Posts: 2448
Location: Delaware
jboger wrote:
Wonderfully crazed surface. Is it oak or mahogany? I'm going with mahogany. The reason you can't tell --or at least I can't--is because the crazing scatters the reflected light so the grain is hidden. I have an article written by a museum conservationist that details a method whereby one coats a deteriorated surface with a compound that has a similar index of refraction to shellac. One applies the material, it fills in all the nooks and crannies, and the wood grain emerges. Furthermore it is reversible; the coating is removable w/o harming or disturbing the original surface. Examples are given when applied to some 18th C American furniture. This looks like a candidate although of course one would want to practice on something else first. I can supply the article if anyone should want it.


I would definitely be interested in reading this article. Maybe you can post it here, if that's not possible then please PM me.

Thanks
Andreas


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VV-50 "M L Price Music Co, Tampa Educational Dept"
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:49 am 
Offline
Victor VI
User avatar
Needle Tins are Addictive
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:32 pm
Posts: 3616
Location: Belmont, North Carolina
Yes, please post the article...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VV-50 "M L Price Music Co, Tampa Educational Dept"
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:39 pm 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:12 pm
Posts: 739
Very happy to post it, but where? This particular board doesn't seem appropriate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VV-50 "M L Price Music Co, Tampa Educational Dept"
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:02 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:55 am
Posts: 856
Location: Bartlett, TN
alang wrote:
jboger wrote:
Wonderfully crazed surface. Is it oak or mahogany? I'm going with mahogany. The reason you can't tell --or at least I can't--is because the crazing scatters the reflected light so the grain is hidden. I have an article written by a museum conservationist that details a method whereby one coats a deteriorated surface with a compound that has a similar index of refraction to shellac. One applies the material, it fills in all the nooks and crannies, and the wood grain emerges. Furthermore it is reversible; the coating is removable w/o harming or disturbing the original surface. Examples are given when applied to some 18th C American furniture. This looks like a candidate although of course one would want to practice on something else first. I can supply the article if anyone should want it.


I would definitely be interested in reading this article. Maybe you can post it here, if that's not possible then please PM me.

Thanks
Andreas


Same here! I'd love to read such an article as well.

As for the finish, it is mahogany...worn a bit, but mahogany.

Matt


Last edited by mattrx on Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VV-50 "M L Price Music Co, Tampa Educational Dept"
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:03 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:55 am
Posts: 856
Location: Bartlett, TN
jboger wrote:
Very happy to post it, but where? This particular board doesn't seem appropriate.


Maybe the "Tips, Tricks & Tutorials" section?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VV-50 "M L Price Music Co, Tampa Educational Dept"
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:44 am 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:12 pm
Posts: 739
I put a link to the article here and I have also scanned the article to make a pdf, which I can send to people of they like. Here's the link: http://www.wag-aic.org/2001/WAG_01_heginbotham.pdf


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.