Who remembers when this would fetch over 3 Grand on Ebay

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Herman
Victor II

Who remembers when this would fetch over 3 Grand on Ebay

Post by Herman »

I remember the days that cylinders like this would sell in the ball park of $3000.00

https://tinyurl.com/y8t5ftab
Attachments
5714.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Who remembers when this would fetch over 3 Grand on Ebay

Post by Curt A »

I can't imagine paying $996 for that title, except for the fact that its a really late production cylinder. Personally (just my opinion), there is not much in the way of Edison recordings that is really exciting... :roll: "Honey" is not a "hot" song, but rather a mediocre tune and certainly overrated, especially for $3,000. Obviously, if you bought one for that price, it wasn't such a great purchase as this recent sale indicates...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

Maybe not a "Hot" tune Curt, but a "Great" electrically recorded BA none the less:

http://youtu.be/NlYuBTjg3nE

Cheers, Bob S.

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

Norman Bruderhofer has a reproduction cylinder of "Honey" for $80.00

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

billybob62 wrote:Norman Bruderhofer has a reproduction cylinder of "Honey" for $80.00
Way to go Billybob! I was going to say the same thing. Thanks to Norman--several late blue amberol reproductions can be purchased reasonably at $80.00 each.

Several years ago I sold 11 of 12 electric 5600 and 5700 series blue amberols that were all New Old Stock and known songs that were "Hits" in the 1920's and very jazzy. As I recall--I got around $900.00 for most of them and a couple sold for $300.00. I have never seen a late blue amberol sell for more than $1,000.00; but I was out of the hobby for several years and did not follow auctions so you could be right. I am going to list my very last original New Old Stock copy of Blue Amberol #5647 "There's A Rainbow Round My Shoulder" by the Golden Gate Orchestra on EBAY and it is very jazzy and peppy. I got a resin copy from Norman that will last practically forever; and don't care if I have original or reproductions as long as I can play the vintage songs on vintage equipment. Anyone want to guess what it may sell for?

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

(deleted)
Last edited by 52089 on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

marco wrote:
billybob62 wrote:Norman Bruderhofer has a reproduction cylinder of "Honey" for $80.00
Way to go Billybob! I was going to say the same thing. Thanks to Norman--several late blue amberol reproductions can be purchased reasonably at $80.00 each.

Several years ago I sold 11 of 12 electric 5600 and 5700 series blue amberols that were all New Old Stock and known songs that were "Hits" in the 1920's and very jazzy. As I recall--I got around $900.00 for most of them and a couple sold for $300.00. I have never seen a late blue amberol sell for more than $1,000.00; but I was out of the hobby for several years and did not follow auctions so you could be right. I am going to list my very last original New Old Stock copy of Blue Amberol #5647 "There's A Rainbow Round My Shoulder" by the Golden Gate Orchestra on EBAY and it is very jazzy and peppy. I got a resin copy from Norman that will last practically forever; and don't care if I have original or reproductions as long as I can play the vintage songs on vintage equipment. Anyone want to guess what it may sell for?
Last copy of 5647 "There's A Rainbow Round My Shoulder" that I sold on Ebay mint condition with lid sold to 1 bidder for my starting bid of $200.00. Good thing I started the auction at $200.00 as who knows where it might have ended.

Back in early 2000 I remember a blue amberol in the 5700 series sold for $3300.00 Too old to remember the actual title but if I remember right it was said to be only 8 known copies to exist.
Darren Wallace was the expert back then on late 5700 titles and I believe he owned a number of them.