Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Columbia Viva tonal console for an interesting project

Post by Inigo »

In this Spanish site

https://www.todocoleccion.net/radios-gr ... ~x60470667

there is an interesting Viva tonal big console machine. I cannot recognise which model it is, maybe it's a period special machine.
The wood has been refinished at some point, look the external fresh appearance, and how the refinish has respected the decal inside the lid. The is some woodworm damage, and the motor board is badly bent down. The text says that the back board is missing, and when i asked some questions to the seller he added more photos and clarifications. Thanks to that, you can see the Plano reflex horn that seems to be complete.
At some point i became interested in the machine, but I already own an hmv 194, so this big beauty would simply not be allowed at home. But maybe another colleague with more resources to repair it can make a better use of this marvel.
The soundbox isn't the right one, but this is not a problem. Don't know about the motor.
The price is very good, although you must ask for the shipping costs... It would not be cheap.
Inigo

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Columbia Viva tonal console for an interesting project

Post by epigramophone »

The machine is a UK Columbia New Console Model No.155a which cost £25 when new. Here is the 1929 catalogue page :
Attachments
155a.jpg

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: Columbia Viva tonal console for an interesting project

Post by marcapra »

Looks like a nice phono! Too bad it was refinished. They can sound superb!