Columbia Electric Viva-Tonal on EBAY

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
marco
Victor II

Columbia Electric Viva-Tonal on EBAY

Post by marco »

I am thinking about throwing a bid on this item on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Columb ... 0012.m1985

Does anybody know anything about this model?

Does it appear to complete. Can't figure out how it changes records unless they drop one at a time from that curved rod on the turntable spindle.

Would appreciate any info--especially if it is a post from a Forum Member. Shipping would not be a problem; but I would have to know if it is complete before taking the plunge.

Thanks!
Mark Roberts

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Columbia Electric Viva-Tonal on EBAY

Post by estott »

The changer is by Allen-Hough. Here is a page showing one on a Zenith. It took 10 records on that holder & there waas some kind of device that let them drop one at a time: http://www.theradiofox.com/zenith/zenith75/index.html

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

estott wrote:The changer is by Allen-Hough. Here is a page showing one on a Zenith. It took 10 records on that holder & there waas some kind of device that let them drop one at a time: http://www.theradiofox.com/zenith/zenith75/index.html
Thank you estott for the link with such detailed and fantastic photos. It looks to be complete; but seller does state that something is broken on the mechanism but included to be reproduced. Worries me that there was so much Pot Metal in it. Only 25 mins remaining. If seller re-lists I will ask for more detailed photos of the changer--both top and bottom. Would really like to get it. Just never run across any type of early changers around here and I have never seen an example of this before. Best! Mark

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

marco wrote:
estott wrote:The changer is by Allen-Hough. Here is a page showing one on a Zenith. It took 10 records on that holder & there waas some kind of device that let them drop one at a time: http://www.theradiofox.com/zenith/zenith75/index.html
Thank you estott for the link with such detailed and fantastic photos. It looks to be complete; but seller does state that something is broken on the mechanism but included to be reproduced. Worries me that there was so much Pot Metal in it. Only 25 mins remaining. If seller re-lists I will ask for more detailed photos of the changer--both top and bottom. Would really like to get it. Just never run across any type of early changers around here and I have never seen an example of this before. Best! Mark
Just my luck. Someone "snagged" it at the last minute. By now I should know to place an auction "snipe" for what I want to pay when something interesting comes up. Oh well!

maginter
Victor II

Post by maginter »

That is really a neat machine. I had one and it was a lot of fun. I was really surprised when I found it and this one is only the second one I have ever seen.
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine."
Nikola Tesla

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

maginter wrote:That is really a neat machine. I had one and it was a lot of fun. I was really surprised when I found it and this one is only the second one I have ever seen.
That makes me feel so hopeful of finding another--HA! :lol:

Wish that I had not found it so late in the listing. It would have been a perfect crossover piece to show the evolution to the jukebox collection I have. If there ever is another chance I will not hold back and will bid right away. Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda....Mark

victor 15-1
Victor I
Personal Text: to own an electrola is a blessing

Post by victor 15-1 »

marco wrote:
maginter wrote:That is really a neat machine. I had one and it was a lot of fun. I was really surprised when I found it and this one is only the second one I have ever seen.

Wish that I had not found it so late in the listing. It would have been a perfect crossover piece to show the evolution to the jukebox collection I have. If there ever is another chance I will not hold back and will bid right away. Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda....Mark
I have an advertising pamphlet for it.
Introduced May 1930. costs $295 less tubes
"It's graceful lines will be a harmonic note in the most carefully appointed living room. It's rich walnut finish marks it as a piece of furniture to be admired. It's slender,low build demands little space" the pamphlet claims "Let the dance go on"
it goes on further to say.

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Went to someone in San Jose that wanted the whole machine.
I was glad to see it not be parted out to send the amplifier to South Korea.
They really seem to love Kolster amplifiers.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

Skihawx wrote:Went to someone in San Jose that wanted the whole machine.
I was glad to see it not be parted out to send the amplifier to South Korea.
They really seem to love Kolster amplifiers.
In San Jose ?.....who could it have been?..... ;) HERE .....I can tell you it will not get parted out!! ...Will post more pictures on arrival in Ca

maginter
Victor II

Post by maginter »

marco wrote:

If it is the changer that you like the Zenith Model 75 uses the same changer. Those seem to be a little more plentiful.
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine."
Nikola Tesla