Re: Edison

Post by dutchman »

Well that did not last long - gone! Someone on here pick this up? Bill K

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Bill,

Yes, I picked it up today. It was a nice machine and deal I couldn't pass up. However, I just happened to be browsing CL yesterday and saw it, but didn't realize you had also posted it on the forum as well.

AR

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

WHAT IS WITH PEOPLE PUTTING THE CHIPPENDALE GRILLES UPSIDE DOWN?!?!

It amazes me. How do people think it looks better with upside down arches and vacant, eye-like circles staring above?

Okay, enough of my rant. It's a really nice machine! Once you turn the grille upside down.

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

apruizii wrote:Bill,

Yes, I picked it up today. It was a nice machine and deal I couldn't pass up. However, I just happened to be browsing CL yesterday and saw it, but didn't realize you had also posted it on the forum as well.

AR

You lucky dog, I was going to saddle up my horse and leap on this - I called and it was gone :( Great deal. Bill K

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

While I understand that Edisons are durable I don't think the lid would hold up under the weight of a horse and rider leaping on it...

Just kidding! Great phonograph--I like these consoles, very 1920s looking. Now all it needs is a modern diaphragm and some Wilson records--the new super-hot ones!

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Bill,

Actually, the deal was not as good as I thought. The diamond tip needle is in bad shape and needs to be replaced. The sound is audible but has low volume...I need to check it more closely to see if it is worn or chipped. So I'll either have to it replaced or just get another reproducer with a decent needle.

AR

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Actually, the deal was not as good as I thought. The diamond tip needle is in bad shape and needs to be replaced. The sound is audible but has low volume...I need to check it more closely to see if it is worn or chipped. So I'll either have to it replaced or just get another reproducer with a decent needle.

AR
Just replace it - at least you will not be rolling the dice when it comes to a replacement. Cheers and look forward how it all turns out. Cheers

Bill K

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

A simple quick way to test the stylus is to lightly rub you fingernail over the tip. If your fingernail gets scratches, then the stylus is bad. If there are no scratches, then the stylus is good. Then the reproducer will need a rebuild with new gaskets, and possibly a diaphragm.
Harvey Kravitz

AR