Another Mahogany Monarch Special ???

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Another Mahogany Monarch Special ???

Post by Zwebie »

Just saw this on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-Phonogr ... SwdPBbqXl6

It appears to be a Mahogany? Monarch Special.
It could be that it is just an old and faded varnish job on an Oak machine, but if you look at the grain of the wood, and the spot where the support arm was attached it looks like Mahogany.
I emailed the seller asking for pictures of the motor and the inside of the case.
Obviously it has an incorrect "M" tag.

Very interesting!

Bob S.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

Zwebie
Victor IV

Re: Another Mahogany Monarch Special ???

Post by Zwebie »

Sold for $2372.58

Hopefully someone on the Forum got it and will take pictures and give us updates.

Bob S.

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Some of the dents in the case around the tag looked really light. But the area behind the arm looked dark. I'd like to know if it is really something other than dirty oak.

long_island_phono
Victor II

Post by long_island_phono »

I think not only is this Mahogany (look at the unfinished bottom on the side trim pieces) but after zooming in on the dataplate it appears that it says “MS 48” indicating a very early production. I think the “S” looks like an “8” ag a glance due to the fuzziness of the image.

-Jake

Zwebie
Victor IV

Post by Zwebie »

I think not only is this Mahogany (look at the unfinished bottom on the side trim pieces) but after zooming in on the dataplate it appears that it says “MS 48” indicating a very early production. I think the “S” looks like an “8” ag a glance due to the fuzziness of the image.

-Jake
I think that Jake is "spot-on". I enhanced the tag, and indeed it looks like M S 4 8.
The crank shaft extends past the end of the escutcheon, just like in the early ERJ cased M.
According to the seller, there was no way to open the case from the top, just like the early M.
I believe that this indeed must be an extremely early Eldridge R. Johnson Mahogany MS!

Bob S.
Attachments
5.jpg

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

I really hope the new owner is on the Forum and can provide more detailed pictures. What a treasure!!!!!

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

I met the seller of this MS this morning. I had purchased a couple of other items from her and went over to the Salisbury, MD area to pick them up. Super nice lady who has a booth in a small antique mall named "Goose on the Roof." She sells lots of small items in her booth and on Ebay. She explained that two people she knows who clean out attics, found the machine and offered it to her. I believe she said she gave $100 for the MS, a VV-IV (really rough) and a couple other items. She said the house was "close by" so I can say that it was probably in an attic between the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay and the ocean for the last many decades.
Unfortunately she didn't have the machine with her, so I wasn't able to see it in person. She told me the first name of the buyer (she couldn't remember the last name) and the state where he/she lived. I'll keep that to myself and leave it up to the buyer to reveal this great purchase to the forum.

Needless to say, the seller was thrilled and surprised by the interest the machine garnered. She asked me what made it so expensive. I let her know, lest she thinks every machine is worth $2300 :)

Anyway- a delightful lady, who is very happy today!

Brad Abell

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

One other note. The seller told me that many people asked for pictures of the motor. As she said in her listing, she didn't know how to open it. A couple folks said to "push the button" and the top would hinge up.--(This early machine doesn't have a "button")--- But two suggestions she received made me cringe. One person told her that the top must be stuck with old dirt and varnish and to take a razor knife between the top and the sides to cut through the varnish-- AND- Yet another told her to use a flat head screw driver and pry the top up :(

Thankfully, she didn't try those 'magic' remedies. The new owner will know how to access the motor. :)

Brad Abell