Interesting old gramophone for repair ?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
poodling around
Victor V

Interesting old gramophone for repair ?

Post by poodling around »

This looked very interesting to me. I am no expert at all and just liked the look of it.

I am not on ebay so will not be after it but wonder if anyone has an opinion about this item ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Colu ... rk:10:pf:0
Attachments
old1.jpg
old.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Interesting old gramophone for repair ?

Post by epigramophone »

This machine has been on and off UK eBay for many months. What is probably putting off potential bidders is the difficulty in finding the correct horn, which has a threaded end rather than the more common bayonet fitting.

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote:This machine has been on and off UK eBay for many months. What is probably putting off potential bidders is the difficulty in finding the correct horn, which has a threaded end rather than the more common bayonet fitting.

Oh, I see.

Thank you epigramophone.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

I find it an attractive machine as well. I suspect a typical Columbia screw-in horn would work. These turn up occasionally in my area, often with the paint in bad shape. Nickel-plated ones fare better. I don't recognize the motor. I see it has no barrel for the mainspring, as made. The needle bar is missing. I understand replacements can be had here in the States. We have a situation on our hands; the missing parts may be more readily available in my country than abroad. Unfortunately there's a large body of water between here and there which may make shipping costs high (for the horn) and transportation risky.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

I agree, an attractive machine but potentially difficult to complete here in the UK.

I suspect that the motor is not the original. The open spring case is typical of Polyphon and Symphonion, widely used in their disc musical boxes and also in some gramophone motors.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I see that the sale ended on eBay. Did someone here on the Forum buy it? I looked at the eBay photos. One photo showed the on/off speed control and the slotted winding shaft coming through factory openings on one cabinet side. That might be a clue that the motor was correct. Another photo appears to show something bent down a bit. Would that have been the release for the motor board? I have an unsold horn in the Trader that would be correct but it is on the wrong side of the Atlantic. :cry:

Jerry Blais

poodling around
Victor V

Jerry B. wrote:I see that the sale ended on eBay. Did someone here on the Forum buy it? I looked at the eBay photos. One photo showed the on/off speed control and the slotted winding shaft coming through factory openings on one cabinet side. That might be a clue that the motor was correct. Another photo appears to show something bent down a bit. Would that have been the release for the motor board? I have an unsold horn in the Trader that would be correct but it is on the wrong side of the Atlantic. :cry:

Jerry Blais

Oh, I hope someone on here did buy it and we can gain further information maybe.

Just because I am a dreamer, how much is your horn please Jerry ....

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I am asking $85 OBO but have received no inquiries. Jerry

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

I like my american Columbia better. It has the same decal but nicer with the same tonearm with the spring loaded needle chuck. Also nicer style oak cabinet, double spring motor and its original metal black woth gold trimmed horn. Hoping some day to upgrade to an original Columbia oak horn with screw in neck. Mark