Interesting old gramophone for repair ?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
marco
Victor II

Re: Interesting old gramophone for repair ?

Post by marco »

marco wrote:
I like my american Columbia better. It has the same decal but nicer with the same tonearm with the spring loaded needle chuck. Also nicer style oak cabinet, double spring motor and its original metal black with gold trimmed horn. Hoping some day to upgrade to an original Columbia oak horn with screw in neck. Mark
Oh yes--mine also has a nicer rear mount bracket. Not so plain and squatty.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Jerry B. wrote:I am asking $85 OBO but have received no inquiries. Jerry
Very reasonable in my opinion - sadly the whole thread / bundle is not an option in my better half's opinion - another missed opportunity by me :(

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

The machine is a Columbia BH. The back bracket, tone arm and reproducer are correct. The motor is a swap. The correct motor for this should be a single spring motor with the push-pull plunger speed control and brake. To me the case looks doctored up. The metal "escutcheon" plate looks hokey to accommodate the swapped motor. The corner columns are missing from the case. Jerry's horn would be correct. The hard parts will be the motor, crank, and turntable. The needle bar is also tough to get, because reproductions are no longer being made.
Harvey Kravitz

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Marco:

De gustibus non disputandum est.

Who says were not an educated bunch? Tonight I perform an exorcism on one of my machines--in Latin, of course. This morning at 5:30 AM, as I was sitting on my living room couch, I heard a rumble. I thought someone was banging on the outside of the house. I went outside to see. It was dark. It was cold. But--lo!--no one or no thing was there. Back inside I soon discovered the source of the noise. One of my portables, which had been stashed under a desk and lain dormant for more than a year, unused all this time, decided to unwind and rather loudly at that. A possessed machine!

Anyway, back to this Columbia. Harvey's insights are not to be dismissed. Still, it looks as if this machine never had any corner columns.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

poodling around wrote:
Jerry B. wrote:I am asking $85 OBO but have received no inquiries. Jerry
Very reasonable in my opinion - sadly the whole thread / bundle is not an option in my better half's opinion - another missed opportunity by me :(
Hmmm. Perhaps a better better half? :? ;)
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

These machines have corner columns. I think when this case was doctored up, I think the corners were blended after the corner columns were gone. There could have been a missing corner column or two. Rather than having new ones made or finding an original, the owner felt is was easier to remove them all, and touch up the missing stain and finish.
Harvey Kravitz
jboger wrote:Marco:

De gustibus non disputandum est.

Who says were not an educated bunch? Tonight I perform an exorcism on one of my machines--in Latin, of course. This morning at 5:30 AM, as I was sitting on my living room couch, I heard a rumble. I thought someone was banging on the outside of the house. I went outside to see. It was dark. It was cold. But--lo!--no one or no thing was there. Back inside I soon discovered the source of the noise. One of my portables, which had been stashed under a desk and lain dormant for more than a year, unused all this time, decided to unwind and rather loudly at that. A possessed machine!

Anyway, back to this Columbia. Harvey's insights are not to be dismissed. Still, it looks as if this machine never had any corner columns.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

I agree on the swapped motor: I've never seen a front-wind Columbia, outside of portables..

Bill

flying500
Victor I

Post by flying500 »

I bought this after looking, thinking looking again and again. I finally bit the bullet and am very happy that I did.
It does not look to ever had columns and the motor, although an oddity does fit a bit too well.and the turntable is in the original central position.
There are no additional holes in the motor board and the stop lever (the 'bent' one) is perfectly positioned as on other models, with no signs of modification to the operating arm.
I have found an parts catalogue which has a rectangular base plate shown for a ~1 motor. The ratchet assembly and spring winding bevel gears are also shown. Unfortunately there is no date.
I have found a correct threaded horn and a replacement sprung needle bar assembly is on its way. The soundbox interior has cleaned up beautifully and it is made in the USA patents 1905 & 1906.
The motor appears to work and as far as I can see the knocking that occurred aft winding could only have been the stop partially engaged or the governor weights just clippng a part of the motor frame. (the speed knob was set to max when I received it.
Only thing now to find is a suitable winder.

I am no expert and would appreciate any advice?

flying500
Victor I

Post by flying500 »

I am still confused by the front wind . The case has not had any additional holes made or filled!