For restoration - Maybe something to save ?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
poodling around
Victor V

For restoration - Maybe something to save ?

Post by poodling around »

Attachments
restore1.jpg
restore.jpg

Gramtastic
Victor III

Re: For restoration - Maybe something to save ?

Post by Gramtastic »

Just collected it !! Will post photos of restoration in due course....

poodling around
Victor V

Gramtastic wrote:Just collected it !! Will post photos of restoration in due course....

Brilliant ! Looking forward to seeing and hearing about the gramophone :)

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

My first impressions are that this is a Swiss/German machine. When you have cleaned the motor you may find the logo of either Paillard or Thorens stamped on the base.

Interestingly the soundbox appears to be a British made Gilbert "Tone Reflector", well worth rebuilding. Now you need a horn!

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Hi, I have now had a look at the machine and it is indeed a Thorens motor with the classic anchor trademark. This is a big machine, 16inch base, solid oak case, 12 inch turntable and a very hefty double spring motor, so I think it was a good one in its day ! Unfortunately the case is very dry with no finish left and all the metalwork is badly corroded but I think it is worth trying to save ! There is at least one broken mainspring and a missing governor spring to start with so it's going to be a fun job !!
Last edited by Gramtastic on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poodling around
Victor V

Gramtastic wrote:Hi, I have now had a look at the machine and it is indeed a Thorens motor with the classic anchor trademark. This is a big machine, 16inch base, solid oak case, 12 inch turntable and a very hefty double spring motor, so I think it was a good one in its day ! There is at least one broken mainspring and a missing governor spring to start with so it's going to be a fun job !!

Can't wait to see some photo's !

Is that a brake on the front left hand side ? I don't think I have seen one like that if it is ?

Very interested to see the anchor mark on the motor for example.

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Hi, will take photos and start work on it over the weekend (this annoying thing called "work" gets in the way of playing with gramophones !!)

poodling around
Victor V

Gramtastic wrote:Hi, will take photos and start work on it over the weekend (this annoying thing called "work" gets in the way of playing with gramophones !!)
Ha! Looking forward to your findings and photo's !

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Ok, made a start. This is quite weird as the wood is incredible dry with no trace of original finish but all the metalwork is very badly corroded as if it has been damp for many years - not seen this before ! The case should restore reasonably well with a lot of work but the backbracket and arm are so deeply pitted I may just have to sand and fill the worst of it and paint in aluminium paint as they are too bad to plate.
After about an hour of struggling, managed to remove the remains of the Gilbert soundbox which had almost welded itself to the inside of the tone arm. A further half an hour of fighting saw the turntable come off but not until I had removed the base of the motor in the case so I could tap the spindle out of it without damaging the governor or the spindle ! First piece of luck - the missing governor weight was in the bottom of the case so was able to replace the spring and use the original weight !
Tomorrow I may face what lies inside the spring barrels - hopefully only one is broken....
Attachments
IMG_8219.JPG
IMG_8217.JPG
IMG_8218.JPG
IMG_8211.JPG
IMG_8206.JPG

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Update: Opened spring barrels to find both springs ok... This one uses a hooked piece of metal on the main shaft and as often happens they wear smooth and won't engage with the spring anymore. Replaced it with a bolt and works well ! The motor is very well made as the gear wheels are nickel placed which is unusual.... The turntable has CLUS 300 cast unit the underside - does this mean anything to anyone ??

Now for the case - need to join the two parts of the motor board,insert a piece of oak in the gap at the base,sand it all, stain and shellac then it will be re-assembly time !
Attachments
IMG_8220.JPG
IMG_8221.JPG
IMG_8222.JPG