For restoration - Maybe something to save ?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
poodling around
Victor V

Re: For restoration - Maybe something to save ?

Post by poodling around »

Gramtastic wrote:Time for an update. This week has all been about the back bracket. You can see from the original photos it was very badly corroded. I decided the best treatment would be to grind off the corrosion and polish the steel underneath. This has involved hours of grinding with a small abrasive grinder , followed by rubbing down with wet and dry and a final mop polish. I am pleased with the result - it still has a look of age but is not rusty ! (I know it will rust again over time but it is going to be in a centrally heated house, not a damp cellar, so it will last some time like this...)

Next , onto the woodwork .....

Most impressive. Something I will certainly consider doing when hopefully I buy a gramophone which needs such restoration.

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Started on the woodwork - worst piece was one corner where the moulding joint has separated. If it is loose you can usually glue and clamp it back together but this is solid so only thing to do is insert a small piece of oak and file it to shape. Shouldn't show when stained.

The arm is too thin to be able to grind off the corrosion so I treated it with a rust converter which has given it a blueish tint - I quite like this and it is certainly better than rust !

Now time for :coffee:
Attachments
IMG_8253.JPG
IMG_8254.JPG
IMG_8255.JPG
IMG_8258.JPG

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Update - cabinet now almost finished, wood stained and polished. Managed to find an escutcheon which fitted the original holes. Only other part replaced is the speed control ad the original is alumininum and is just a pitted disc with no markings left on it !
On the home straight now... some work to do on elbow and then refit motor.
Attachments
IMG_8260.JPG
IMG_8261.JPG
IMG_8263.JPG

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

It lives !!! The machine is now almost finished and sounds really good. the horn is a little small for the scale of the base but is is the only spare I have at the moment and will do until I find a bigger one. I have really enjoyed this restoration and hope it might inpsire others to take on "scrap" machines and have a go ....
Attachments
horn gram as bought.JPG
IMG_8265.JPG

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

That's an amazing job!

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Nicely done! If/when you find a horn for it you'll be happy with, I hope you share it with us again.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

You did a fantastic job! And so quickly too! It’s really amazing what you’ve done with this!

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Very nice job, well done. I think it looks great with the peacock horn.

Andreas