For restoration - Maybe something to save ?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
poodling around
Victor V

Re: For restoration - Maybe something to save ?

Post by poodling around »

Gramtastic wrote:Update: Opened spring barrels to find both springs ok... This one uses a hooked piece of metal on the main shaft and as often happens they wear smooth and won't engage with the spring anymore. Replaced it with a bolt and works well ! The motor is very well made as the gear wheels are nickel placed which is unusual.... The turntable has CLUS 300 cast unit the underside - does this mean anything to anyone ??

Now for the case - need to join the two parts of the motor board,insert a piece of oak in the gap at the base,sand it all, stain and shellac then it will be re-assembly time !
This link mentions that the '300' may refer to the diameter in millimetres ?

Sadly all the images have gone ...

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/DOUBLE-SPRING-W ... 3756051994

poodling around
Victor V

Gramtastic wrote:Update: Opened spring barrels to find both springs ok... This one uses a hooked piece of metal on the main shaft and as often happens they wear smooth and won't engage with the spring anymore. Replaced it with a bolt and works well ! The motor is very well made as the gear wheels are nickel placed which is unusual.... The turntable has CLUS 300 cast unit the underside - does this mean anything to anyone ??

Now for the case - need to join the two parts of the motor board,insert a piece of oak in the gap at the base,sand it all, stain and shellac then it will be re-assembly time !

Oh, I managed to see a few of the images and 'snip' them:
Attachments
clus.jpg
cls1.JPG
cls1.JPG (15.67 KiB) Viewed 1920 times
cls.JPG
cls.JPG (66.86 KiB) Viewed 1920 times

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Thanks -that make sense ! a 300mm turntable.....

poodling around
Victor V

If that is a Gilbert Tone Reflector and can't be rebuilt then I noticed a similar / same one on ebay maybe ?

I hope this is relevant.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-GILB ... SwF5hb6EuN
Attachments
gilbert.jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

poodling around wrote:If that is a Gilbert Tone Reflector and can't be rebuilt then I noticed a similar / same one on ebay maybe ?
Who says it can't be rebuilt? It's no different to any other soundbox.

poodling around
Victor V

Phono48 wrote:
poodling around wrote:If that is a Gilbert Tone Reflector and can't be rebuilt then I noticed a similar / same one on ebay maybe ?
Who says it can't be rebuilt? It's no different to any other soundbox.

Yes, maybe it can ! Like the Six Million Dollar Man - we can rebuild you ! Hoping ! :)

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

This is awesome. You guys are doing a great job on this rusty old machine--hope you can find a nice horn!

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Thanks for the comments. The soundbox is toast as it is deeply corroded and is not right for the machine anyway so I will put a more appropriate one on it. I already have a spare horn which will do for now - not quite big enough for the size of the base bit will work.
It is always satisfying to take something which is near scrap and get it back into playing order again !!

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Time for an update. This week has all been about the back bracket. You can see from the original photos it was very badly corroded. I decided the best treatment would be to grind off the corrosion and polish the steel underneath. This has involved hours of grinding with a small abrasive grinder , followed by rubbing down with wet and dry and a final mop polish. I am pleased with the result - it still has a look of age but is not rusty ! (I know it will rust again over time but it is going to be in a centrally heated house, not a damp cellar, so it will last some time like this...)

Next , onto the woodwork .....
Attachments
IMG_8225.JPG
IMG_8249.JPG
IMG_8251.JPG

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Looks much better. You could treat it with a coat of clear Rustoleum rust preventer, or wax it to prevent new rust.

Andreas