A Gramophone & Phonograph to rescue ?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
poodling around
Victor V

A Gramophone & Phonograph to rescue ?

Post by poodling around »

I just like the look of both of these.

Is the Phonograph from around 1898 I wonder ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Wind ... rk:38:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRAMOPHONE-C ... rk:44:pf:0
Attachments
rescue3.jpg
rescue2.jpg
rescue1.jpg
rescue.jpg

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: A Gramophone & Phonograph to rescue ?

Post by Lucius1958 »

The Columbia 'Eagle' is going to need a good deal of work, including a reproducer and carriage.

In extreme close-up, I think I can see "New York" at the bottom of the decal. That would be the "Broadway" decal, used from 1897 to some time in 1899; combined with the serial number, I think 1898 is a good estimate.

Bill

poodling around
Victor V

Lucius1958 wrote:The Columbia 'Eagle' is going to need a good deal of work, including a reproducer and carriage.

In extreme close-up, I think I can see "New York" at the bottom of the decal. That would be the "Broadway" decal, used from 1897 to some time in 1899; combined with the serial number, I think 1898 is a good estimate.

Bill

Thank you very much Bill. Most interesting.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The gramophone is an HMV Model 58 "hornless" i.e. a table model with no lid to keep the dust off. This design is not popular with collectors, and prices reflect this.

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote:The gramophone is an HMV Model 58 "hornless" i.e. a table model with no lid to keep the dust off. This design is not popular with collectors, and prices reflect this.
Thank you epigramophone. I see that it may be from 1922 from the model number you kindly gave.

I still like both of these but have no :cry: room

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

"Eagles" don't take up much room, but you don't want that one. If it were free, the cost of restoring it would probably equal (or possibly exceed) its value.

George P.

poodling around
Victor V

phonogfp wrote:"Eagles" don't take up much room, but you don't want that one. If it were free, the cost of restoring it would probably equal (or possibly exceed) its value.

George P.
I understand what you say but I would just give it a little home for a few years.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

epigramophone wrote:The gramophone is an HMV Model 58 "hornless" i.e. a table model with no lid to keep the dust off. This design is not popular with collectors, and prices reflect this.
They aren't bad machines- the performance of the US equivalent (VV-VI) is superior to the the VV-IX table top (with a lid) and nearly as good as the VV-IX. If only there weren't so many of them.

The Smaller VV-IV with a 10 inch turntable is actually more popular with collectors because it is fairly light and portable.

poodling around
Victor V

estott wrote:
They aren't bad machines- the performance of the US equivalent (VV-VI) is superior to the the VV-IX table top (with a lid) and nearly as good as the VV-IX. If only there weren't so many of them.

The Smaller VV-IV with a 10 inch turntable is actually more popular with collectors because it is fairly light and portable.

Interesting. It is good to hear USA and UK gramophone comparisons.

It's like a parallel universe.

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

As phonograph collectors, although we “think” that we need them...they actually need us more.
Get them both!