A 'solid brass' Victrola Gramophone / Phonograph

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
poodling around
Victor V

A 'solid brass' Victrola Gramophone / Phonograph

Post by poodling around »

I saw this earlier and wondered when it was made etc.

There seems to be a lot of fine workmanship.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/162589730863?rmvSB=true
Attachments
brass.jpg

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Re: A 'solid brass' Victrola Gramophone / Phonograph

Post by Mormon S »

As ugly as I think it is, i am fascinated that such thing exists! As the listing says:

"The back story is that this was originally made in the 1920's on custom order for a brass manufacturing tycoon located in Chicago"

The result of a bored millionaire... :roll:

Martin

poodling around
Victor V

Mormon S wrote:As ugly as I think it is, i am fascinated that such thing exists! As the listing says:

"The back story is that this was originally made in the 1920's on custom order for a brass manufacturing tycoon located in Chicago"

The result of a bored millionaire... :roll:

Martin
Thank you Mormon S. I must have missed the description - glad you saw it.

As you say, quite an interesting background.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Mormon S wrote:As ugly as I think it is, i am fascinated that such thing exists!

Martin

Well, just like the key tassel contretemps in the Machines section, some people do think it's very attractive. This piece currently resides in my living room, and most people that come to the house are in awe of it.

You can see it on my website: http://www.musicaltreasuresofmiami.com/6-phonos.html

Raphael
Last edited by Raphael on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poodling around
Victor V

Raphael wrote:
Mormon S wrote:As ugly as I think it is, i am fascinated that such thing exists!

Martin

Well, just like the key tassel contretemps in the Machines section, some people do think it's very attractive. This piece currently resides in my living room, and most people that come to the house are in awe of it.

You can see it on my website: http://www.musicaltreasuresofmiami.com/6-phonos1.html

Raphael

Hello Raphael. A previous comment mentioned that the machine was 'custom made' - what does this mean please I wonder - who made it ?

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

“Custom Made” means it’s a one-off made for a specific buyer. I have no idea who the maker or buyer was, unfortunately.

It’s a stunning piece, for sure.

Raphael

poodling around
Victor V

Raphael wrote:“Custom Made” means it’s a one-off made for a specific buyer. I have no idea who the maker or buyer was, unfortunately.

It’s a stunning piece, for sure.

Raphael

Thank you Raphael. Yes, it is beautiful and seems so very well made.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

I was lucky enough to have had the privilege of examining this machine some years ago (before it was purchased by its current owner) and can say that the photographs, good as they are, in no way do it justice.

This machine is a really fine piece of work with an incredible visual presence. The restoration job is superb. The cabinet of this machine is built up in the same manner as the bronze Bank furniture of the 1920s.

I suspect (this is purely conjecture) that this machine may have originally borne a Statuary Bronze finish, at which time it might have more readily blended into a scheme of conventional interior decoration.

The machine as it stands now is a show piece, a jewel which draws every eye, and would doubtless become the centerpiece of any collection.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Uncle Vanya wrote:I was lucky enough to have had the privilege of examining this machine some years ago (before it was purchased by its current owner) and can say that the photographs, good as they are, in no way do it justice.

This machine is a really fine piece of work with an incredible visual presence. The restoration job is superb. The cabinet of this machine is built up in the same manner as the bronze Bank furniture of the 1920s.

I suspect (this is purely conjecture) that this machine may have originally borne a Statuary Bronze finish, at which time it might have more readily blended into a scheme of conventional interior decoration.

The machine as it stands now is a show piece, a jewel which draws every eye, and would doubtless become the centerpiece of any collection.
I guess that "back story" means that is what the party who initially sold it to Raphael told him?

I'm wondering when, exactly, it might have been produced. The cabinet, as you know, emulates the style of the Victrola "humpback" models from the early to mid-1920s, yet the tonearm is culled from a Victor (post-1925) Orthophonic model, as is the sound box. It's also interesting that it was fitted with a pre-Victrola era flower horn. If it does date from the early to mid-1920s, then some of the components, such as the tonearm and sound box, must have been replaced during the restoration.

Since you did an onsite inspection, I'm also wondering if you could confirm if it is constructed out of brass or brass plated metal panels affixed to a metal or wooden frame, or if everything is solid brass. If so, it must weight a ton!

OrthoFan

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

OrthoFan wrote:
Uncle Vanya wrote:I was lucky enough to have had the privilege of examining this machine some years ago (before it was purchased by its current owner) and can say that the photographs, good as they are, in no way do it justice.

I guess that "back story" means that is what the party who initially sold it to Raphael told him?

I'm wondering when, exactly, it might have been produced. The cabinet, as you know, emulates the style of the Victrola "humpback" models from the early to mid-1920s, yet the tonearm is culled from a Victor (post-1925) Orthophonic model, as is the sound box. It's also interesting that it was fitted with a pre-Victrola era flower horn. If it does date from the early to mid-1920s, then some of the components, such as the tonearm and sound box, must have been replaced during the restoration.

Since you did an onsite inspection, I'm also wondering if you could confirm if it is constructed out of brass or brass plated metal panels affixed to a metal or wooden frame, or if everything is solid brass. If so, it must weight a ton!

OrthoFan
I suspect that Uncle Vanya saw this at the Stanton auction, where it was sold to its current owner. I saw it there myself. My impression was that it is made, (very expertly), out of sheet brass, and not brass-over-wood, as suggested. Again, my take away was that it is solid brass, not plated. It really is beautifully done. If the style is not to one's particular liking, it's no slight on the machine, (or its current owner), just a commentary on the variability of people's tastes and likes.