$250 Victrola XVII If you don't mind refinishing it.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
cweastlick
Victor II

Re: $250 Victrola XVII If you don't mind refinishing it.

Post by cweastlick »

phonolady wrote:Great job on the XVII,

Could you please share the type glue you used to secure the veneer and your process to apply,
start at top and work down, one corner and over or what?

Also, what stain or dye are you using and the type of finish?

Thanks so much, David & Lerria
I know most of you are going to laugh and scoff but I use regular old Minwax English Chestnut for the stain. I mix in a little Dark Walnut in some areas to get some of the dark shading in there.
I use Dapp Contact Cement for my veneer. I follow the directions on the can. The application of the big sheets of veener took two people. Because the trim was off at the top and bottom it was a pretty straight lay. I dry fitted everything before applying contact cement. It didn't have to be tight up against the top because a piece of trim covers it and I simply let it overhang a bit at the bottom and trimmed it with a razor then, again, a piece of trim covers it. So side to side was the most important part. I laid the cabinet on it's side so it makes it easier. I used a soft plastic putty knife and worked the air bubbles out. Although, if you look real close you can still see some bubbles. It makes it look aged!
But that's the long and the short of it. Patience and taking your time with the dry fitting.

Victor VII
Victor I

Post by Victor VII »

Looks great! A well done restoration for a machine that merits the effort. Congrats and thanks for setting things right for future collectors!

Victor VII
Victor I

Post by Victor VII »

Looks great! A well done restoration for a machine that merits the effort. Congrats and thanks for setting things right for future collectors!