Ebay's "MAO" is making me MAD!

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Ebay's "MAO" is making me MAD!

Post by gramophone-georg »

Victrolacollector wrote:
marcapra wrote:I did not experience it either, but Ebay took every opportunity and many emails trying to get me to put the Make an Offer option on my ad for my Amberola 1A. I have $3400 in my Amberola 1A and Ebay suggested that I had a better chance of selling it if I started the auction at $62!
Now that’s crazy! $62.00 for an Amberola 1A.
Seems to be way more than enough 'crazy' to go round on eBay anymore.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

I thought it was just me, but eBay is really pushing the make an offer deal. When you tell it to not make offers, you will find an email that they are allowing offers, and they set the offers at a 50% minimum. I change it back and it seems to try and resist changing it back to no offers. The other thing that irks me is free shipping, one must offer free shipping to really sell anything on there. When is the last time that you have been able to go to the post office and mail a phonograph for free? Plus take into consider of buying boxes and packing supplies. Bubble wrap is getting expensive! It may cost 40-80.00 to ship a table model when it is said and done. On top of that, eBay charges a percentage on shipping fees.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I'm selling things on eBay (relax, no phonos, just a silent movie projector and a 202 phone.)

eBay is all electronic and works like any search engine. The bit about pricing an Amberola 1A at $62 actually makes sense...people call a lot of items "Amberola," whether it be a broken-down Amb 30, a restored 1A, or even a blue Edison cylinder!

Remember to carefully check your settings before you start eBay selling.

And the Make Offer button is kind of nice, too. I like it for both buying AND selling.
Charles