Group Photograph with Phonograph, ca. 1900 on eBay

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Cody K
Victor III

Group Photograph with Phonograph, ca. 1900 on eBay

Post by Cody K »

I've noticed this lovely old photograph a few times in past weeks, and I'm surprised it hasn't been sold. It's very possibly the only existing copy, and it seems like a rather nice example, in a large format, of the genre "bringing the tunes outdoors". Not mine, nor will it be, but as someone who's collected 19th century photos for half a century, I kinda wish it was. Hope this helps it find a good home.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Origin ... 2741742139
Attachments
BoomBox.jpg
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby

soundgen
Victor V

Re: Group Photograph with Phonograph, ca. 1900 on eBay

Post by soundgen »

no one looks happy though :( !
Attachments
ahappy.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"no one looks happy though" :( !
You wouldn't look happy either, if you had to sit motionless for several minutes while the picture developed... :lol:

I tweaked the photo a bit and if anyone wants to download it, it will print out nicely for framing or mounting on a piece of cardboard like the original...
Attachments
Outside with the old Edison (adj) 1600x1200.jpg
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Curt A wrote:"no one looks happy though" :( !
You wouldn't look happy either, if you had to sit motionless for several minutes while the picture developed... :lol:

I tweaked the photo a bit and if anyone wants to download it, it will print out nicely for framing or mounting on a piece of cardboard like the original...

No they are unhappy , this is the 20th century way past very long exposure times :lol:

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

^^^^ What soundgen said.

This would have required at most a second or two to expose. Even the slower, more archaic wet-plate collodion process of the 1860s can "strike" an outdoor, full sunlight exposure in a second or so. Indoor exposures were longer, but by the end of the 19th century the standard emulsion was dry-plate silver gelatin which was much faster than collodion. Not quite the tiny fraction of a second of later Tri-X film, but still quick enough to easily record a smile.

I've read many articles about why most early images show people with such joyless expressions. The general consensus -- which I personally believe -- is that photography was a big deal, and was taken seriously. The average person would not want to appear as if they were taking such a special event lightly. As it is, hoisting a glass (beer?) was already getting pretty frivolous. ;)

It's a great image, with an extraordinarily large group of people and an unusually large format (nearly 8x10).

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

OK, so it wasn't the camera...

Maybe the photo was taken in 1919 and they could imagine what was coming... that would make them unhappy... :lol:
Attachments
Volstead Act.jpg
94562-050-1044D97F.jpg

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Cody K
Victor III

Post by Cody K »

Eh, they're not unhappy, they're p!ssed. Moments before the picture was snapped, the kid in front of the phonograph had been a-tusslin' with the dog, and they knocked over the handsome pyramid of cylinders that had been piled up for the photo. All were broken to bits except one: "Saved By Grace". Who wouldn't be annoyed?

Anyway, it appears to have been sold. Anyone we know? If so, it'd be a great kindness if you were to post a better scan on the forum. To whoever got it, it's a great picture -- congrats!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

"...it'd be a great kindness if you were to post a better scan on the forum."

The scan I posted is about as good as it gets... click twice in the middle of the picture and you will see what I mean. It is a large pic with good detail and can be printed full size.

My Wife

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

But there are several smiles in the photo. Here's mine: :)

-Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Cody K
Victor III

Post by Cody K »

Naw, I meant if anyone here was the buyer (since it was sold overnight) and was feeling generous, they might make a better scan from the original when they get it. The eBay image isn't terrible, but it's not actually a scan of the picture but a photo of the picture, taken at an angle that foreshortens everything depicted. An actual, flat scan of the picture would no doubt provide a more faithful copy of image. No reason to expect anyone to post it, just askin' because I really like the pic. :)