looking for first machine

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
djacobsen1
Victor Jr

Re: looking for first machine

Post by djacobsen1 »

Curt A wrote:CONGRATULATIONS, YOU GOT A GREAT DEAL...

If the finish is dirty, clean it with GOOP hand cleaner, available cheap at WalMart. Rub it on with a cloth, then wipe it off with a clean cloth. Cleaning it will improve the appearance immediately and might be all that is needed. If the finish is worn through to the wood, it can be restored by re-amalgamation - using rubbing alcohol to melt the existing finish and re-distributing it (do it after cleaning) to the worn areas. It is much easier to do this than stripping and refinishing... Usually, the inside of the cabinet does not need this and you don't want to destroy the decal inside the lid...
The wood almost looks like a laminate that is peeling in several places. The wood on the inside of the hood looks really nice, it's just the exterior that needs work. I'll post some close up pics of trouble spots

djacobsen1
Victor Jr

Post by djacobsen1 »

here are some pics of the exterior.
Attachments
20190217_225343.jpg
20190217_225338.jpg
20190217_225329.jpg

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Congratulations, and welcome to the world of antique talking machines!

If you'd like to know the period of time when yours was produced, there's a great resource at the website of the Antique Phonograph Society, just follow this link: https://www.antiquephono.org/edison-c-2 ... -1925-pdf/

The Chippendale model C 19 was introduced in April 1919, but it was earlier designated by the Edison company as the Chippendale model "C 250". If/when you search for information related to your C 19, understand that other than mostly cosmetic cabinet changes, the C 250 and C 19 are for all intents and purposes the same machine.

Over the time it was manufactured and marketed (late 1915 - roughly late 1929) the Chippendale Upright was the most successfully selling Diamond Disc Phonograph that the company had produced. It was their Flagship model, and was arguably the epitome of the company's Disc Phonograph characteristics.

Here are a few posts that might be helpful to you in understanding your new machine:

Here is a link to the "MECHANICAL SERVICE and REPAIRS - NEW EDISON DISC MOTOR", explaining the mechanical aspects of the mechanism used - it is indispensable for understanding, repairing and adjusting the Diamond Disc Phonograph:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... ?f=2&t=476

Our original ongoing research database project, which contains a vast amount of information specific to the C 250 and C 19, is here: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=16837 The database became so large that it needed to be split into a second post, and continued here: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=34692. If you have the patience to read through both posts, there's an enormous amount of information you can use to become more familiar with the Chippendale C 250 and C 19, and the evolution of its long life of production.

If you'd like to know more about the Edison Chippendale there is a ton of information here at the forum, using the search function. As has already been mentioned, there are many knowledgeable and helpful folks here, who can help guide you through virtually any problem you may encounter.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

The first thing would be to clean the exterior to know the extent of any issues... The areas you mentioned are not "laminated" or veneered, they should be solid mahogany, unless my vision is failing me... If they are veneered, then a veneer repair is necessary, if not they need to be color matched and stained (unless you are a good woodworker) which will hide them for the most part without causing further damage. Cutting out and replacing pieces of solid wood is possible, but it requires some knowledge about how to achieve it and make it look untouched...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

djacobsen1
Victor Jr

Post by djacobsen1 »

FInally put together a list of the diamond disc's. I believe the billy murray may be a valuable album is there any other titles in the list that stand out? Thanks!
Edison Diamond Disc List:
51500 how do you love (the happiness boys) Cross Roads Between sweetie and me (billy jones)
51036 you gave me your heart (broadway dance orchestra) when the leaves come tumbling down (broadway dance orchestra)
51814 Aint we carryin on (B.A. Rolfe and his Palais d’or orchestra)Looking at the world through rose colored glass ( Golden gate orchestra)
50847 mandy-n-me (club de vingt orchestra) Tenderly (club de vingt orchestra)
50615 medley of irish jigs (patrick fitzpatrick) reillys reel medley of reels ( harold veo)
50711 whispering (green bros novelty band) feather your nest (lenzbergs riverside orchestra)
50675 sing us a song of bonnie scotland (glen ellison) When I was 21 ( glen ellison)
50117 margie (mark fells della rosaria orchestra) baby dreams (elizabeth spencer)
80702 Liberstraum (walter chapman) ???
50676 Kaiwi waltz (toots parks hawaiians) myona hawaiian waltz (waikiki hawaiian orchestra)
50850x2 Rosy cheeks (club de vingt orchestra) three o clock in the morning (club de vingt orchestra)
51080 kiss mama kiss papa (kaplans melodists) jimmy ( jos. Knechts waldorf astroia dance band)
51268 i love you (ernest l stevens) dreamy melody (ernest l stevens)
50569 foot warner ( louisana five) b-hap-e (louisaa five)
50737 timbuctoo (al bernard) ive got the blues for my kentucky home (premier quartet)
????? irish washerwomen medley of jigs (harold veo) medley of irish reels (patrick j scanlon)
51662 swingin down the lane (paul victorins orchestrta) dont cry swanee (kaplans melodist)
51278 mcdonads reel (jasper bisbee) ?????????
Ka-lu-a medley (broadway orchestra dance band) leave me with a smile (club de vingt orchestra)
50806 looking for the silver lining melody (ray perkins) make believe melody (ray perkins)
51330 rosalie (stevens dance quartet)the chareston blue kaplas melodists
51026 ????????????????
51459 way out west in kansas (vernon dalhart and co) the prisoners song (vernon dalhart and co)
50650 yellow dog blues (harry radermans jazz orchestra) patchs (lopez and hamilton kings of harmony orchestra)
50874 wabash blues (broadway dance orchestra) sal-o-may foxtrot (broadway dance orchestra)
51792 your more then a pal to me (James doherty) falling in love with you (walter scanlan)
51533 fooling (ace bridges and his 14 virginains) when i think of you (ace bridges and his 14 virginains)
51177 yes, we have no bananas??????????
51394 charley, my boy (georgia melodians) red hot mama (georgia melodians)
51209 greenwich which (ernest l stevens) knick an nifty? (ernest l stevens)
51361 i wasnt scared but i just thought that i had better go (ernest hare) wreck of the southern old 97 (vernon dalhart)
51106 my dawg (al bernhard) down by the old apple tree (billy jones and ernest hare)
50742 sweet love ( lenzbergs riverside orchestra) answer ( lenzbergs riverside orchestra)
80411 ole virginny days ( the homestread trio) when im gone youll soon forget (walter van brunt and helen clark)
50856 somewhere in naples foxtrot (lanins orchestra) yoo-hoo foxtrot (lanins orchestra)
51066 rose of the rio grande ( broadway dance orchestra) runnin wild (broadway dance orchestra)
50607 Your my gal (al bernard and ernest clark) floatin down to cotton town (permier quartet)
????? ill take you home again, kathleen ( tenor and chorus orchestra accompaniment) on the banks of the brandywine freidland ( tenor solo with vocal obligato orchestra accompaniment)
50485 a study in mimicry ( orren and drew) farmyard medley (premier quartet)
50933 on a little side street (ernest l stevens) ?????????
50740 do you ever think of me (harry radermans jazz orchestra) Arabia one step (green bros novelty band)
50678 whispiring hope (helen clark and walter van brunt) when your gone i wont forget louise terrel and george wilton ballard
50698 Id love to fall asleep and wake up in my familys arms ( jesse jones) mammys good night lullaby (crescent trio)
51166 beside a babbling brook (broadway dance orchestra) why (stevens trio)
50705 gra-na-da (harry radermans jazz orchestra) bells fox trot (harry radermans jazz orchestra)
51069 dearest (broadway dance orchestra) beale street mama (broadway dance orchestra)
80471 scripture lesson with hymn (reverand william h morgan and the calvary choir) scripture lesson with hymn (reverand william h morgan and the calvary choir)
50644 a matrimonial mixup (golden and hughes) hippity hop (premier quartet)
50875 when buddha smiles (club de vinght orchestra) april showers medley (club de vinght orchestra)
50404 kamehameha march (louise and behera) waialae medley (waikiki hawaiin orchestra)
50797 drowsey head (green bros novelty band) molly (ray miller and his black and white melody boys)
50258 Moonlight bay (premeir quartet) the pussy cat rag (peerless quartet)
51073 youve got to see mamma ev’ry night (broadway dance orchestra) everything is k-o in k-y (kaplans melodists)
50890 in my heart on my mind all day long (lou china “friscoe”) tuck me to sleep (lou china “friscoe”)
51625 normandy (irwin abrams and his knickerbacker grill orchestra) remember (jack stillmans orchestra)
51076 i gave up just before you threw me down (jos. Knechts waldorf astoria dance orchestra) lonesome mama blues (ernest l stevens trio)
51142 you know you belong to someone else (broadway dance orchestra) march to the mannikins (broadway dance orchestra)
City of dreams ( jaudas society orchestra) beautiful ohio waltz ( jaudas society orchestra)
50792 peggy o’neil (billy jones) the last little mile is the longest ( lewis james)
50697 oreiental stars one step ( green bros novely orchestra) buddies waltz ( lenzberg’s iversid orchestra)
Bo-la-bo egyptian foxtrot (lopez & hamilton king of harmony orchestra) my isle of golden dreams ( tuxedo dance orchestra)
50248 Auntie skinners chicken dinner (collins and harlan) there must be little cupids in the briny (billy murray)
82240 the angels serenade (albert spalding) merry widow waltz ( frieda hempel)

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Nice instant record collection, especially these:

51500 how do you love (the happiness boys) Cross Roads Between sweetie and me (billy jones)
51814 Aint we carryin on (B.A. Rolfe and his Palais d’or orchestra)Looking at the world through rose colored glass ( Golden gate orchestra)
51662 swingin down the lane (paul victorins orchestrta) dont cry swanee (kaplans melodist)
51625 normandy (irwin abrams and his knickerbacker grill orchestra) remember (jack stillmans orchestra)

and there are a good number of "blues" sides as well.

Note that you should always keep water away from Diamond Discs. If you need to clean them, lay a paper towel on a clean countertop (granite kitchen counter is perfect), get high-% rubbing alcohol and cotton balls, and run alcohol-soaked cotton balls around and around in the direction of the grooves(avoiding the label of course) until the cotton comes up clean. Air dry, then flip it and do the other side.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

You got a very good deal! A C-19 is an awesome first machine. The missing wood is indeed missing veneer. What you're seeing underneath is the Oak core. There are solid Mahogany pieces in a C-19, but not the panels. It veneer damage really doesn't look too major. As others have said try cleaning what you have before launching into a "strip and refinish" project. It took many years to get into its current condition, so don't be in a hurry. Clean it, detail it, and live with it a while. Just my two cents. Again, congratulations!

Martin

Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Post by Chuck »

Welcome to the wonderful world of Edison Diamond Discs!

It is a whacky world where thick bakelite records
are played with a weight so heavy it actually scrubs
off a diamond point after a long enough while!

It is a fun and interesting world, for sure!

C19 is a nice machine.
"Sustained success depends on searching
for, and gaining, fundamental understanding"

-Bell System Credo

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

You bought a nice record collection cheap and got a free Diamond Disc player... congratulations... You won't need to buy any records for a long time. Play all of these and find out what you like, since there are a lot of good titles and a variety of genres..

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

One of my favorites is: 51394 Charley, my boy (georgia melodians) Red hot mama (georgia melodians)

My Wife