looking for first machine

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
djacobsen1
Victor Jr

Re: looking for first machine

Post by djacobsen1 »

PeterF wrote:Nice instant record collection, especially these:

51500 how do you love (the happiness boys) Cross Roads Between sweetie and me (billy jones)
51814 Aint we carryin on (B.A. Rolfe and his Palais d’or orchestra)Looking at the world through rose colored glass ( Golden gate orchestra)
51662 swingin down the lane (paul victorins orchestrta) dont cry swanee (kaplans melodist)
51625 normandy (irwin abrams and his knickerbacker grill orchestra) remember (jack stillmans orchestra)

and there are a good number of "blues" sides as well.

Note that you should always keep water away from Diamond Discs. If you need to clean them, lay a paper towel on a clean countertop (granite kitchen counter is perfect), get high-% rubbing alcohol and cotton balls, and run alcohol-soaked cotton balls around and around in the direction of the grooves(avoiding the label of course) until the cotton comes up clean. Air dry, then flip it and do the other side.

Would over the counter 70% isopropyl alcohol work to clean the discs?

djacobsen1
Victor Jr

Post by djacobsen1 »

Curt A wrote:You bought a nice record collection cheap and got a free Diamond Disc player... congratulations... You won't need to buy any records for a long time. Play all of these and find out what you like, since there are a lot of good titles and a variety of genres..
Sounds great!!! Thanks!!!

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

djacobsen1 wrote:
PeterF wrote:Nice instant record collection, especially these:

51500 how do you love (the happiness boys) Cross Roads Between sweetie and me (billy jones)
51814 Aint we carryin on (B.A. Rolfe and his Palais d’or orchestra)Looking at the world through rose colored glass ( Golden gate orchestra)
51662 swingin down the lane (paul victorins orchestrta) dont cry swanee (kaplans melodist)
51625 normandy (irwin abrams and his knickerbacker grill orchestra) remember (jack stillmans orchestra)

and there are a good number of "blues" sides as well.

Note that you should always keep water away from Diamond Discs. If you need to clean them, lay a paper towel on a clean countertop (granite kitchen counter is perfect), get high-% rubbing alcohol and cotton balls, and run alcohol-soaked cotton balls around and around in the direction of the grooves(avoiding the label of course) until the cotton comes up clean. Air dry, then flip it and do the other side.

Would over the counter 70% isopropyl alcohol work to clean the discs?
Yes. That's exactly what I use. I also use my wife's cotton makeup remover pads. They hold up much better than cotton balls. Might be a bit more pricey however.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

You can get higher %, which means lower water content, and I recommend you do so.

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

I'm personally a Windex person when it comes to cleaning DDs.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Just don't soak the cotton balls with the alcohol. You don't want to saturate the record with liquid alcohol. Nice records there if they are in good condition. clean them before you play them. I've read somewhere that you should let them sit overnight before trying to play them as the alcohol might soften the surface a little.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I'll probably catch heat for this, but I'm also a Windex fan for cleaning DDs. It works great. I spray it on an old clean washcloth, wipe in groove direction, avoid labels and edges, dry excess with a similarly clean towel then air dry in an old plastic dish drainer for at least 5-6 hours. I've cleaned thousands of DDs this way after it was mentioned to me by Ron Dethelefson many years ago. Far easier (and cheaper) than alcohol.

Sean

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

94% alcohol costs less than $3 for a good sized bottle at CVS. Windex probably costs more, as a formulated product, but who cares...it’s got plenty of water in it.

Whatever you use, it matters not to anyone else. They’re your records. But perhaps following the factory guidelines on their care would be wise.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I was expecting that. The LARGE Windex refill costs me about $2.50. I know you were once close with Ron, Peter, he must have shared his tip of Windex with you, no? Alcohol never worked well for me. It leaves streaks on discs, to each their own as I said before. I have DDs I cleaned with Windex in 1986, 32 years ago, and they're just a shiny now as they were after I cleaned them then, they also play just as well, ask anyone who's visited me lately (MicaMonster...pssst)

Sean

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

As my kids would say:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(They no longer speak, in favor of texting EVERYTHING)

Streaks notwithstanding, as long as you protect your stylus and cause no record damage, and maybe even improve sound quality a little, clean them however you wish.

Thinking of taking an intact junker and leaving an edge immersed in alcohol overnight, and another edge in windex on a different night...will let you know what transpires.