looking for first machine

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
djacobsen1
Victor Jr

looking for first machine

Post by djacobsen1 »

Hello, I am looking for my first phonograph. I found this on Craigslist not to far from me. I was told everything works and it comes with 65 edison diamond discs. Is this a good deal thanks!

https://madison.craigslist.org/atq/6794781442.html

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: looking for first machine

Post by estott »

Considering the machine alone, if the finish can be cleaned up and there aren't any major issues with scratches or chipping, and if the diamond point is good, then yes that isn't a bad deal. As to the records they could be a good deal at that price if they aren't damaged and have decent selections.

I feel a little worried because, in my opinion someone who knows something about these machines would figure out how to post a few decent pictures.

Try before you buy.

djacobsen1
Victor Jr

Post by djacobsen1 »

estott wrote:Considering the machine alone, if the finish can be cleaned up and there aren't any major issues with scratches or chipping, and if the diamond point is good, then yes that isn't a bad deal. As to the records they could be a good deal at that price if they aren't damaged and have decent selections.

I feel a little worried because, in my opinion someone who knows something about these machines would figure out how to post a few decent pictures.

Try before you buy.
so this could be a deal for either the records or the machine? With both componets would it be a great deal? thanks!

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

It's a great deal - go grab it.

If it's deficient in some way we'll help you fix it.

cleveland1996
Victor III

Post by cleveland1996 »

Looks to be a very good deal especially with the records. As it was said, try it out. With the other phono in the background it could be another collector selling it....

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

cleveland1996 wrote:Looks to be a very good deal especially with the records. As it was said, try it out. With the other phono in the background it could be another collector selling it....
With the bad picture and lack of description - and "Edison Victrola" - more likely this is some collector's relative selling off the estate

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Go for it!! You can always make an offer.

djacobsen1
Victor Jr

Post by djacobsen1 »

estott wrote:
cleveland1996 wrote:Looks to be a very good deal especially with the records. As it was said, try it out. With the other phono in the background it could be another collector selling it....
With the bad picture and lack of description - and "Edison Victrola" - more likely this is some collector's relative selling off the estate
The seller claimed that it came from a yard sale he bought it, and it's been sitting for years and it's time to move on.

djacobsen1
Victor Jr

Post by djacobsen1 »

estott wrote:
Is this even a edison phonograph? Can anyone tell manufacturer or model by the pictures? Thanks!

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

djacobsen1 wrote:
estott wrote:
Is this even a edison phonograph? Can anyone tell manufacturer or model by the pictures? Thanks!
It's an Edison C-19 Chippendale Upright Diamond Disc Phonograph. And yeah, if the diamond stylus in the reproducer is good, so is the price.

If the diamond stylus is bad, it's still potentially a good deal, if the mechanism (motor, gear train, horn and related bits) works properly.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.