looking for first machine

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: looking for first machine

Post by fran604g »

djacobsen1 wrote:
Is this even a edison phonograph? Can anyone tell manufacturer or model by the pictures? Thanks!
It's an Edison C-19 Chippendale Upright Diamond Disc Phonograph. And yeah, if the diamond stylus in the reproducer is good, so is the price.

If the diamond stylus is bad, it's still potentially a good deal, if the mechanism (motor, gear train, horn and related bits) works properly.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

It's a great deal... quit waiting and go get it. These are well built and will last another 100 years. Even if the diamond stylus is bad, it can be repaired by someone on the Forum for a reasonable price (the diamond costs around $100), so even if it needs repairing it's still worth it. Several years ago this machine would sell for close to $1,000 to the right collector. It appears to be oak. If so, oak is more desirable.

The records alone are worth the price... $150 for 65 records = $2.30 each, which is a good price for Diamond Discs considering that in that pile of 65 there are potentially some more desirable/valuable records hiding in there... and a free machine thrown in...

If you get it, write back to the Forum for instructions on how to move it, since it is top heavy and needs some disassembly to safely transport it...
This is a good first machine and I cannot emphasize this enough...this is basically being sold at an early 1970s price...

Considering the fact that I just purchased a floor crane for $175, if this was near me it would be gone...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Because this will be someone's first and maybe only machine I think it should be mentioned that this is a Diamond Disc machine that without modifications won't be able to play regular 78s. Not questioning that this may be a good deal, just want to make sure the original poster understands that they may not be able to play any records they may already have on this machine.

Andreas

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

"Modifications" in this case means acquisition of a "lateral adaptor" made for this purpose. It's merely a different type of reproducer, and slips right into place on the horn neck in replacement of the Edison reproducer. They are easy to come by and inexpensive ($75 or so). For casual listeners they sound fine, and if you are going to only have one disc machine, this is a good path to take.

djacobsen1
Victor Jr

Post by djacobsen1 »

Curt A wrote:It's a great deal... quit waiting and go get it. These are well built and will last another 100 years. Even if the diamond stylus is bad, it can be repaired by someone on the Forum for a reasonable price (the diamond costs around $100), so even if it needs repairing it's still worth it. Several years ago this machine would sell for close to $1,000 to the right collector. It appears to be oak. If so, oak is more desirable.

The records alone are worth the price... $150 for 65 records = $2.30 each, which is a good price for Diamond Discs considering that in that pile of 65 there are potentially some more desirable/valuable records hiding in there... and a free machine thrown in...

If you get it, write back to the Forum for instructions on how to move it, since it is top heavy and needs some disassembly to safely transport it...
This is a good first machine and I cannot emphasize this enough...this is basically being sold at an early 1970s price...

Considering the fact that I just purchased a floor crane for $175, if this was near me it would be gone...

I'm going to try and get it this weekend. How would I disassemble it for transport? How can I tell if the diamond is good?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

PM sent so check your messages! :)

Jerry Blais

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

"How would I disassemble it for transport? How can I tell if the diamond is good?"
Hopefully, Jerry answered this for you in his PM... If not, please inquire again...

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Make sure you remove all of the records from the machine and put them in boxes for transport... DO NOT EVEN THINK OF LEAVING THEM IN THE RECORD SLOTS IN THE CABINET...

The diamond needs to be looked at with a good magnifying glass or loupe. It should be pointed, not flat, chipped or chiseled. Remove the reproducer and wrap it in bubble wrap or a towel to transport it to protect it from damage... it can be removed by twisting it and pulling it out of the tonearm.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 10.00.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 10.00.27 PM.png (347.63 KiB) Viewed 563 times
Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 9.54.04 PM.png

My Wife

djacobsen1
Victor Jr

Post by djacobsen1 »

I ended up buying the machine. The machine works :)The diamond needle feels sharp and doesn't leave any trade when played on the part of record without grooves. When the machine is spinning it makes a funny whirring noise. The gentleman I bought it from said he had the motor cranked for 10 years :( Cabinet is in rough shape (how hard is it to refinish?) I will try to make a list of the discs it came with in the next few days. Thanks!
Attachments
20190216_191227.jpg
20190216_191222.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU GOT A GREAT DEAL... Now that I see your new pics, the cabinet is mahogany...

If the finish is dirty (which it obviously is), clean it with GOOP hand cleaner, available cheap at WalMart or other places - be sure it is the kind with no pumice. Rub it on with a cloth, then wipe it off with a clean cloth. Cleaning it will improve the appearance immediately and might be all that is needed. If the finish is worn through to the wood, it can be restored by re-amalgamation - using rubbing alcohol to melt the existing finish and re-distributing it (do it after cleaning) to the worn areas. It is much easier to do this than stripping and refinishing... Usually, the inside of the cabinet does not need this and you don't want to destroy the decal inside the lid...

"When the machine is spinning it makes a funny whirring noise." The motor probably needs cleaning and lubrication...
Last edited by Curt A on Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My Wife