THE STUTTERING COON "POSSUM PIE".

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
travisgreyfox
Victor IV

THE STUTTERING COON "POSSUM PIE".

Post by travisgreyfox »

I am selling my Collins and Harlan 1904 "The Stuttering Coon" on ebay. Starting bid is only 99 cents.

I appreciate the history of these records, but I am not really a fan of owning these racist records. Not that collecting them is wrong, its just not my cup of tea :coffee:

-Travis
Attachments
e9737f38-ef73-405d-88ca-da899c0ae215.jpg

Django
Victor IV

Re: THE STUTTERING COON "POSSUM PIE".

Post by Django »

It looks like you will come out well. I didn’t know that this type of recording was in demand. I’m with you in that it is not to my taste.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

It looks like you will come out well. I didn’t know that this type of recording was in demand. I’m with you in that it is not to my taste.

fonograph
Victor II

Post by fonograph »

Holy Smokes!!!
I have a young child in the house and I culled all of my race records a few months ago. Sold most for 5-10 each....had no idea they had value. Pretty sure I had this record too.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I collect these because of the history involved. This one is above my paygrade. After the sale, you'll be able to get something really nice.
Harvey Kravitz

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Phonofreak wrote:I collect these because of the history involved. This one is above my paygrade. After the sale, you'll be able to get something really nice.
Harvey Kravitz

I am super excited watching the auction! I didn't know I had any records worth this much! :o I already started searching for new phono stuff to buy with the money :P

If anyone has any cheap external horned phonos for sale for around $300 send me a PM (impossible long shot at that price I know).

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Travis,

It's not an impossible long shot. I bought a BN Graphophone from Jerry B at that price--actually for $250. No regrets. Of course it was in really rough (1980s refinished) shape and I have done a bunch of work to it, reconstructing the top board with new veneer and the old core, etc. All that's left to do now is the horn & some minor cosmetics before her big debut.

Also, I bought a Fireside for $225 from a forum member whose name escapes my mind at the moment. It was working but hammered, missing the K reproducer & horn. Now this morning it still has some work left to do on it (nickel plating, reproducer tuning, and repair on the 2-4 clutch) but it plays really nicely!

Edison Standard Model A, 1904--I'd sell you that one but I still have to get your WWI records out the door before you pay me for them. It cost me $225 as well. Battered but beautiful and it plays quite nicely for 115 years old.

Victor III Talking Machine--1907-09, cost me $328 at auction.

Edison Model E Standard, 1911--tripped over it on the floor of an antiques shop, cost $128.

They're out there! You will find a lot of projects. If you don't like owning coon records, I suggest selling them all and stocking up on projects--and, if African-American music sounds better than corny vaudeville stuff, hunt down records by black artists. Lots of them were made and lots are still in print. I like Jimmie Lunceford & Count Basie, and for a serious vintage flair, Polk Miller's Old South Quartet. Ok, Polk was as white as I am, but the rest of his guys weren't. Great musicians all of them, and some titles are still in print via Edisonia Records in the 4-minute cylinder format.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

travisgreyfox wrote:
Phonofreak wrote:I collect these because of the history involved. This one is above my paygrade. After the sale, you'll be able to get something really nice.
Harvey Kravitz

I am super excited watching the auction! I didn't know I had any records worth this much! :o I already started searching for new phono stuff to buy with the money :P

If anyone has any cheap external horned phonos for sale for around $300 send me a PM (impossible long shot at that price I know).
Donley’s Auction starts at 11:00 Eastern Daylight Time today. You might find a bargain there.