Oak L Door Cabinet (?) on Facebook marketplace

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
TonyJ
Victor I

Oak L Door Cabinet (?) on Facebook marketplace

Post by TonyJ »

This looks to be an L door cabinet in Oak locally in Michigan on Facebook marketplace (not mine). Looks like it needs the mechanics and possibly a horn and not sure this is a good price for just a project cabinet, but thought I'd pass it on.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 075345263/

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Oak L Door Cabinet (?) on Facebook marketplace

Post by Jerry B. »

It would be a nice switch if you had a badly damaged mahogany "L" door but the horn would possibly be a difficult find.

Jerry B.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Jerry B. wrote:It would be a nice switch if you had a badly damaged mahogany "L" door but the horn would possibly be a difficult find.

Jerry B.
Funny thing about Oak L-door machines, they don't have Oak horns. The horns are light colored, but they appear to be Mahogany. The same goes for the surface that surrounds the motor board.

The shelf on this one appears to be missing, but finding some old oak and making a new shelf is not a huge task. If someone has a derelict L-door, this may be a good deal.

I added a picture from the ad for posterity.
Attachments
46458017_10217266569282298_4049804137473245184_n.jpg
Last edited by Django on Fri May 03, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I've got an oak one at home. I'll have to take a look. You could well be correct about it not being oak but it does have a golden stain. It would be very difficult to take one from a mahogany machine and make it look correct. I doubt if you'd get that red color out without stripping and a lot of bleach and even then it would be doubtful. I suppose you could paint a mahogany bell :shock: an appropriate color so your eye would not be drawn to the wooden sides. Jerry B.
Last edited by Jerry B. on Sat May 04, 2019 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Jerry B. wrote:I've got an oak one at home. I'll have to take a look. You could well be correct about it not being oak but it does have a golden stain. It would be very difficult to take one from a mahogany machine and make it look correct. I doubt if you'd get that red color out without stripping and a lot of bleach and even then it would be doubtful. I suppose you could paint a mahogany bell :shock: an appropriate color so your eye would not be drawn to the wooden slats. Jerry B.
The first image is of a VTLA, (not mine). Next is my Oak, VV-XVI, model C. The Walnut machine is not mine either, but it also has a mahogany horn. Mahogany is my favorite tone wood for a guitar, so it makes good sense for a floating horn. Later machines have slats and a more restricted horn, so the wood is less likely to be a factor when it comes to tone.
Attachments
IMG_1559.jpg
IMG_2940.JPG
14-dsc-0033.jpg
14-dsc-0033.jpg (48.32 KiB) Viewed 1010 times

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Jerry B. wrote:I've got an oak one at home. I'll have to take a look. You could well be correct about it not being oak but it does have a golden stain. It would be very difficult to take one from a mahogany machine and make it look correct. I doubt if you'd get that red color out without stripping and a lot of bleach and even then it would be doubtful. I suppose you could paint a mahogany bell :shock: an appropriate color so your eye would not be drawn to the wooden sides. Jerry B.
Veneer. ;)
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek