Could these "salesman sample" reproducers be for real?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
melvind
Victor IV

Could these "salesman sample" reproducers be for real?

Post by melvind »

Salesmen sample reproducers? Could this be for real? I am suspicious, but who knows.

https://ebay.us/JwJt3p

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Could these "salesman sample" reproducers be for real?

Post by epigramophone »

I have seen a very similar presentation case clearly marked "Decca", so I think that this could well be genuine. Whether it was a salesman's item is another matter entirely.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

none of the soundboxes in the case look like Victor soundboxes , they look European , yes it is a case for soundboxes but probably a shop display , a salesman would have a carrying case display

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I also noticed that in the auction photos, which are horribly low resolution and blurry, you don't get to see the backs on any of them. Since Victor reproducers have a pretty unique fitting, you'd know right away. The upper right one looks similar to an Exhibition, but again, without seeing any of the backs, it's impossible to tell. Seems deliberately deceptive to me, but all sellers on eBay are honest, right? :lol:

Sean

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

Obviously nothing to do with Victor, and not prototypes, either; just ordinary production models, I'd suggest all by Goldring, though I can't be sure. Goldring sold Exhibition lookalikes, often with that gilt brass finish, sometimes with names like Saturn or Heart, but more often with no name at all, so its'n difficult to now if they were all made by Goldring or if there were others doing the saem thing.

Incidentally, the early EMG soundboxes were based on these, not real Exhibitions.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

I see they sold on relisting the item , a lot of money to pay for 5 pretty ordinary soundboxes

clevelander
Victor II

Post by clevelander »

In the late 60s I bought three HMV 5a soundboxes, new old stock, which were in a very similar case from an old record shop.
I seem to recollect they cost me 15/- each. £2.25p in total.
I don't remember why I didn't ask about the box!.