Viva-Tonal 8-[something] on Craigslist Boston - $125

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Cody K
Victor III

Viva-Tonal 8-[something] on Craigslist Boston - $125

Post by Cody K »

I'd love one of these, but my back nopes out just thinking about it. Evidently a great deal for someone who can carry this beast home: https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/atq/d ... 13245.html

(Not mine, obvs)
Attachments
VT-1.jpg
VT-2.jpg
VT-3.jpg
VT-4.png
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Viva-Tonal 8-[something] on Craigslist Boston - $125

Post by OrthoFan »

That looks like the Viva-Tonal Model 710. (For more images, see: https://www.google.com/search?q=Viva-To ... 54#imgrc=_ )

That's a nice mid-size model, and it looks to be in excellent condition. Can't tell if the doors have been refinished or not, but worth grabbing at that price.

OrthoFan

Cody K
Victor III

Re: Viva-Tonal [710!] on Craigslist Boston - $125

Post by Cody K »

Aye, a 710 it is. I knew the correct number would be provided quickly. Thanks! Now, while this is a mid-size model, my impression has been that the Viva-Tonals all tend to be even heavier than roughly corresponding Orthophonics, and I've moved a few Orthos around. Please tell me that's true. Otherwise I might find myself firing up the truck and...dear God, no, I mustn't!

But seriously, I hope someone on the forum is able to snag this. I know they play beautifully, and the one problem the seller mentions ("the clutch slips") sounds like an issue easy to solve.
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: Viva-Tonal [710!] on Craigslist Boston - $125

Post by AZ* »

Cody K wrote:... my impression has been that the Viva-Tonals all tend to be even heavier than roughly corresponding Orthophonics, and I've moved a few Orthos around. Please tell me that's true.
I bought a VT 800 in 2005, and believe me, it is HEAVY!

I picked it up from a guy living in a second story apartment. It took me and 2 strong lads to lower it one step at a time down the staircase on a hand truck. Once I placed it in position in our home, it has not been moved since.

I wrestle with Orthophonic Credenzas all the time, but they are no match for the big Columbia VT -- weight-wise.
Best regards ... AZ*

Zenger
Victor I

Post by Zenger »

I have been in contact with the owner, and he says he had the cabinet "professionally refinished and repainted," so apparently even the green area over the speaker is not original.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Zenger wrote:I have been in contact with the owner, and he says he had the cabinet "professionally refinished and repainted," so apparently even the green area over the speaker is not original.
I find that VERY hard to believe. I owned a 711 for years with the green over the grill area and I can't imagine anyone being capable of closely repainting something like this. The one for sale here looks identical to the one I had and the finish is very aged looking from what I can see, something tells me the seller really has no idea what they're talking about which shouldn't surprise anyone.

Sean

Zenger
Victor I

Post by Zenger »

He made a point of saying several times that he'd had the cabinet professionally refinished AND the area over the door repainted.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

OrthoSean wrote:
Zenger wrote:I have been in contact with the owner, and he says he had the cabinet "professionally refinished and repainted," so apparently even the green area over the speaker is not original.
I find that VERY hard to believe. I owned a 711 for years with the green over the grill area and I can't imagine anyone being capable of closely repainting something like this. The one for sale here looks identical to the one I had and the finish is very aged looking from what I can see, something tells me the seller really has no idea what they're talking about which shouldn't surprise anyone.

Sean
The key word, looks like, is "professionally." That thing looks absolutely fabulous--almost like they did it with period lacquers.

That might be the sort of restoration to enhance the value of a piece--and at $125, if you have the space, who's arguing? That's an amazing Columbia Grafonola.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

The seller might just mean that it was professionally polished and waxed, and is calling that "refinished". I agree with Sean that it's not been refinished. I own an 800 big Viva-Tonal. Marc.