Post links to auctions and classifieds here
gemering
Victor IV

1930's Majestic Radio/Phono Chicago CL

Post by gemering »

Posted 9 hours ago.
Looks like a diamond in the rough.
(Not mine)
Maybe there's some flexibility in the price???
Looks like part of the left front foot is missing.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/atq/ ... 92393.html
Attachments
maj 1.jpg
maj 1.jpg (24.45 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
maj 2.jpg
maj 2.jpg (1.1 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
maj 3.jpg
maj 3.jpg (1.06 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
maj 4.jpg
maj 4.jpg (865 Bytes) Viewed 1288 times

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: 1930's Majestic Radio/Phono Chicago CL

Post by marcapra »

Majestic was a radio company that had a meteoric rise in the late twenties going up to number one about 1930. I've owned several of them in the past including two Majestic grandfather clock radios. The company broke up in bankruptcy in 1934 and Mr. Grunow started up his own radio company using his own name.

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

I bought a machine like the one pictured a few years ago. Holy cow was it full of pot metal. At least the tubes were good. Haha!

gemering
Victor IV

Post by gemering »

Earl,

Based on your comment above, best to stay away from this brand?
Was there unrepairable warping of tuner parts?

Gene

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

Crumbling tuner parts and it seems like the tuning fins were either pot metal, or mounted in pot metal. The mount on the turntable that went over the motor shaft was pot metal as well. I bought it at an auction for $20 and knew what I was getting, so I just bought it for the tubes. Majestic's are nice I guess, but you want to look one of those things over before you go much further with them. As goofy as pot metal can be, it makes me wonder if part of the reason they went out of business when they did, was for that reason.

ketron281989
Victor O
Personal Text: "Quality Seen & Heard"

Post by ketron281989 »

From my restoration experiences, I would recommend staying away from Majestic sets built between the late 1920's and early 1930's (model discussed included, circa 1930-1931). All if not most utilized pot metal parts within the variable tuning condenser. I too have been through a few from this time period. All three had the same problem, tuning condenser issues. Some castings were better than others, and good examples do surfaced from time to time. Beware though as they all are typically plagued with pot metal failure. Overall, this era of Majestic looks good and good examples sound great!

A sure way to check on this model or others would be a smooth rotation of the dial knob by hand, listening in for any scraping or rubbing of the fins! Any scraping heard or shaft frozen upon turn, stay away!

Jon
Capehart

"The finest in music plus radio entertainment"

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Hello all--I have the tone arm, motor, reproducer, and turn-table for one of these machines if anyone needs it. Just putting it out there--and the motor is rebuilt & runs great.

(Parts from homemade phonograph I was making--until it exploded.)