RCA 331 Duo Radio/Phono/Changer on Ebay

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Zenger
Victor I

RCA 331 Duo Radio/Phono/Changer on Ebay

Post by Zenger »

This is mine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/183791851916?s ... 1555.l2649

I think it's pretty rare -- this is the only one I've ever seen in person. I bought it many years ago in Manchester, NH, from the daughter of the original owner, and have since had it meticulously restored; everything works perfectly and sounds wonderful. It's spring cleaning time and I need to clear space, so if someone can save me the Ebay and Paypal fees and pick it up soon, I'll cut the price. If you're interested, please contact me directly at thejpzenger@gmail.com rather than messaging me here. There are lots of details in the auction listing.

RCA only made this type of changer for one year, and only used it in a few models. If you email me I can send you a video of mine in action through a file sharing service; it's too large to post here. Or you can see a couple of videos of other 331 Duos in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0ZGDJdHrZs

And here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lLzQGT7cvQ
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: RCA 331 Duo Radio/Phono/Changer on Ebay

Post by gramophone-georg »

These are fantastic machines- I have one that I got from gemering last year. If we weren't on opposite coasts I'd seriously consider a second one. I saw this when you first listed it.

I have a question, though- is it normal for these to play records comfortably with the volume ¾ or more up? Seems like it should have more in reserve.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

eighteenbelow
Victor I

Post by eighteenbelow »

Those videos are great. What a changer!

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

Zenger wrote:
RCA only made this type of changer for one year, and only used it in a few models.

Actually the "Automatic Record Ejector" model changer was used from 1933 until 1937.

The some of the other models that used it:

1933 - 331
1934 - 341, 380, 381
1935 - D11-2, D22-1
1936 - 9U, 9U2, 15U
1937 - U107, U109

Chuck

Zenger
Victor I

Post by Zenger »

gramophone-georg wrote:These are fantastic machines- I have one that I got from gemering last year. If we weren't on opposite coasts I'd seriously consider a second one. I saw this when you first listed it.

I have a question, though- is it normal for these to play records comfortably with the volume ¾ or more up? Seems like it should have more in reserve.
Thanks! I've enjoyed it; wish I had space to keep them all. Mine plays loud and clear at ½. It's still entirely clear at ¾, but that's too loud for me, unless I'm elsewhere in the house. Have you tested all the tubes recently?

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

The Victor 9-54 did not use that changer as I previously implied. Except if it was an upgrade of some kind. Cheers, Russie
Last edited by startgroove on Thu May 09, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Zenger wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:These are fantastic machines- I have one that I got from gemering last year. If we weren't on opposite coasts I'd seriously consider a second one. I saw this when you first listed it.

Thanks! I've enjoyed it; wish I had space to keep them all. Mine plays loud and clear at ½. It's still entirely clear at ¾, but that's too loud for me, unless I'm elsewhere in the house. Have you tested all the tubes recently?
I was wondering about that. Not sure if they have been tested or not. I just use it to play records- I've never tried the radio so no idea if it was maybe low cartridge impedance but I don't see how that's possible.

¾ is comfortable listening in the room it's in, but all the way is not too loud... and I thought it should start to be be too loud after about ½, as yours is. It's been this way since I've had it. I may just see about getting another set of tubes for backup anyways.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Zenger
Victor I

Post by Zenger »

If someone wants to buy it directly, I'll be happy to offer a significant discount -- especially if they can pick it up soon! Again, please contact me directly at thejpzenger@gmail.com.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I cannot remain silent. :D .. Poor record! What a swish, scratching sound and a final clonk! when the record is rejected. Could it be nicknamed 'the record ejector' or 'the record executor'... :? :o :( :) :D
How many broken records may one have after a session of adjusting this fast changer...! :D
Inigo

ketron281989
Victor O
Personal Text: "Quality Seen & Heard"

Post by ketron281989 »

Inigo, I have serviced three variations of this changer, one of those three had been located inside an 331. I agree, this variation changer does not handle records "gently". I must say I have never had a pre-war record break while cycling. This machine is of course meant for pre-war heavy shellac records, not the later post war type. Post war records will break or crunch, or at least most will! Overall a reliable changer utilizing a very simple mechanism that is easy to service compared to previous models!

Zenger you have a very nice example for sale.

I would highly recommend this unit for anyone whom collect's early RCA changers. These early DUO machines cost a fortune brand new, amidst the depression they did not sell well. Thus examples are hard to find today. The radio unit within this set is a small compact Superheterodyne circuit complete with tone control and single ended audio output. This model sounds superb with records or radio in operation.

gramophone-georg, The 331 unit I electrically and mechanically restored is loud at ½ volume. ¾ will drive you out of the room. You may have a weak tube present, issue with the record volume control, or pick up head if not rebuilt properly. Record volume control is separate from the radio volume control on this model and located on the right side of the changer bed plate. The 331 does not utilize a cartridge. The pick up head is an electro-magnetic type with horse shoe magnet.

Jon
Capehart

"The finest in music plus radio entertainment"