Post links to auctions and classifieds here
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: GLENN MILLER IN THE MOOD BLUEBIRD RECORD

Post by gramophone-georg »

oldtvsandtoys wrote:
soundgen wrote:
oldtvsandtoys wrote:well I have been looking for these 2 common records for a long time now. Anyone have them to sell?

willie creager and his imperial dance orchestra banner record 6484 sweet tootsies

J. w. myers "the good old u.s.a." victor 4761
What's that got to do with GLENN MILLER IN THE MOOD BLUEBIRD RECORD ?

Sometimes common is not that easy to find.
Besides, a little ADHD in these threads is fun at times. :lol:

I think you're comparing apples to oranges, though. No way did Victor 4761 or Banner 6484 sell in the millions of copies. "In The Mood", by comparison, is claimed by some sources to have been the best selling Swing instrumental record of all time, and that may arguably have been true.

There's another factor in play here, and that is that the WW2 shellac drives likely consumed lots more copies of Victor 4761 and Banner 6484 than copies of "In The Mood", as it was the top hit of 1940 and enjoyed continued popularity due to its inclusion in the Miller movie "Sun Valley Serenade".
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Also, any Glenn Miller records ARE fun and nostalgic--if you're old enough to remember them. If not, then they're just fun.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

My two degrees of separation story about Glenn Miller: in the 1980s and 1990s I knew a much older man who had been a trumpet player in the Glenn Miller Orchestra starting in 1939: Legh Knowles (that is the correct spelling). He is listed on discographies as being in the band for almost all of their major recordings.

At the time, we were both in the wine business and we ran into each other often at various events, and I had dinner with him many, many times. As soon as he realized I was a genuine Big Band fan he sent me a set of cassette tapes of every record on which he played -- 122 in all. In recent years I considered trying to dub them to CD, but realized it was easier just to buy a Miller CD box set since on almost any recording that exists, Legh was there. But what I really enjoyed were the stories he told about the grueling schedule they had on the road in the years before WWII, and the other musicians and singers. (He played "In the Mood" at so many gigs that he came to hate it.)

After serving in the army in WWII, Legh decided to put down his horn and never played again. He died in 1997 at 78 years of age.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

so two bidders and it eventually got $37 after 3 listings ? well I never ......

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/19293 ... 7675.l2565