Post by dutchman »

Attachments
00F0F_359wEXWYGLt_600x450.jpg
00F0F_359wEXWYGLt_600x450.jpg (35.7 KiB) Viewed 1865 times

Cody K
Victor III

Re: VV 8-35

Post by Cody K »

Looks from the pics like it should clean up well, and it does have the original albums, presumably all, but the open door blocks the right side shelves, so who knows? The seller says that $400 is his "starting price", and depending on the condition of the machine when inspected in person, that's probably a fair price. But he/she seems to be expecting offers above that, and that's usually a red flag that the seller wants to play games.
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Cody K wrote:But he/she seems to be expecting offers above that, and that's usually a red flag that the seller wants to play games.
Usually when someone lists a price and is open to offers, the offers are less than the listing price. I didn't see anything in the listing that implied this was an auction. :?:
Best regards ... AZ*

Cody K
Victor III

Post by Cody K »

You're probably right. I guess I'm a little pissy lately because there have been more than a few listings on my local Craigslist that say "best offer above [x number of dollars]", or where the seller's stated a price and I've contacted them and been told, in effect, "That's my starting price, I'm taking offers above it". In which case, nah. Most times though, if a seller is willing to negotiate downward from a starting price, they seem to go with "[X number of dollars] or best offer".

In any case, this machine really looks like it has the potential to shine up nicely and play beautifully again. I have an 8-35 and I like its sound better than my Credenza's. (Although the Credenza runs a mighty close second.)
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

The seller says,
"Please respond with your name and contact phone number. Please include subject line "Player" all others will not be answered. $400 is my starting price. What is your offer?"

I'm with Cody on this one. The seller thinks he will receive a bunch of emails with offers so he can choose the highest bidder. I think he would be solely disappointed if he just gets one email with a $350 offer.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

I've been in this hobby for 50 years. Money talks and BS walks as they say. Be first on the scene with cash in hand, and you will usually get the machine. I don't nickel & dime these things. I buy for my collection, not to flip for a profit. If the price is fair, I pay what they ask. I've seen threads on this forum where someone complained that they didn't get the machine because the seller sold it to someone else. That someone else made an effort to get there before you did and paid in cash to get it. Sellers usually don't turn down cash in hand because someone else called first and might show up later to take a look and "maybe" buy it.
Best regards ... AZ*

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

AZ* wrote:I've been in this hobby for 50 years. Money talks and BS walks as they say. Be first on the scene with cash in hand, and you will usually get the machine. I don't nickel & dime these things. I buy for my collection, not to flip for a profit. If the price is fair, I pay what they ask. I've seen threads on this forum where someone complained that they didn't get the machine because the seller sold it to someone else. That someone else made an effort to get there before you did and paid in cash to get it. Sellers usually don't turn down cash in hand because someone else called first and might show up later to take a look and "maybe" buy it.
I respect your 50 years of knowledge and respect what you have to say often on the board (you have given me great advice before). I don’t think any collector here wants to dismantle our capitalistic system of barter/trade/cash for machines and accessories. That being said, not all of us can pay full price for everything and must be bargain hunters. If a deal falls through I will often get upset and complain about it. It is just the nature of the beast. I will not write my congressman for state control over Victrola distribution, however.

cheryla
Victor II
Personal Text: YouTube: Dyslexic Genius Hurt

Post by cheryla »

I paid $300 for mine but with the recod holders it is a deal. Mine had the record holders and needed a new back bracket. They sound really good!

thedman
Victor Jr

Post by thedman »

I bought it and brought it home. I don't want it but it can sit here until somebody wants it. I paid $250 for it. It's now in Stephens City, VA, There's a bunch of records with it too, including a rare 12" Philco demonstration record and some early Enrico Caruso's on labels I've never seen. Sold

Regards,
Donald
Last edited by thedman on Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I'd grab it for that price, but it's in VA and I'm in CA! Marc.