Info on Academy phonograph

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
JAR
Victor II

Info on Academy phonograph

Post by JAR »

Saw this on FaceBook, $50.00, any information appreciated.

JAR

academy phonograph.jpg
academp phono 2.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Info on Academy phonograph

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

It's a British-made off-brand. Check out the nifty Garrard motor with auto stop (as evidenced by the chromed motor deck.) A nice machine, but not of exquisite construction. I have a cabinet I thought was a Gilbert but may be a fancier sort of Academy.

If it's one you like, I'd say go for it. Cool phonograph! Not super collectible nowadays but still neat.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Academy gramophones were made by the Johnson Talking Machine Company (1919) Ltd of Liverpool, which had no connection with Eldridge R.Johnson of Victor. A wide range of machines was produced in the popular mid price category, some with distinctive cabinet styling.

They were taken over by UK Columbia in about 1930, after which Columbia features such as a version of the Plano-Reflex tonearm began to appear.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

epigramophone wrote: A wide range of machines was produced in the popular mid price category, some with distinctive cabinet styling.
They very often worked the letter "A" into the grille - a move which is both tacky and endearing.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

In the UK, the cabinet would be burnt after the motor had been pilfered for an EMG or something else. That's enough reason alone to buy it if you're Stateside.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Steve wrote:In the UK, the cabinet would be burnt after the motor had been pilfered for an EMG or something else. That's enough reason alone to buy it if you're Stateside.
Offbrand + lowboy = not much collector interest. The motor is of some value as Steve stated.
Best regards ... AZ*