An interesting history maybe ?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
poodling around
Victor V

An interesting history maybe ?

Post by poodling around »

I assume all these (and perhaps other separate 'dusty lot items') came from the same house clearance.

I wonder who would store so many portable Gramophones and where and when they were stored ?

Guess we will never know ?

The link is to just one of the lots:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... b000b4a11e
Attachments
oha.jpg

Victor VI

Re: An interesting history maybe ?

Post by 52089 »

To me they look like they were stored in the dampest basement known to exist. IMHO, you would practically need a hazmat team to deal with all that active mold. Yuck!

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

Perhaps some of the Colonel's stuff? But I have no flipping idea.
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

If you look at the horn gramophones and horns they are repro machines and repro horns , there used to be a warehouse in Downham Market that supplied a wide range of fake goods such as Rolex watches etc and also repro gramophones which were "scrumbled" to look original . so probably the remaining raw mwterail !

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Clearly from the home of a hoarder rather than a collector, and certainly not the late Steven Peppiatt as this is not the firm which will be auctioning his collection.

There are coloured HMV and Columbia portables among the dross which might be restorable, and even the worst machines might have usable motors and soundboxes to donate to other projects. At the right prices this hoard could keep someone occupied all winter, but not me as the costs of a 500 mile round trip plus van hire and overnight accommodation are prohibitive.