Sonora Tonalic Oxford, Massachusetts $300.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
BillH_NJ
Victor II

Re: Sonora Tonalic Oxford, Massachusetts $300.

Post by BillH_NJ »

Thanks! I will take the tonearm off to look later, but do you know or remember if there is a stop to hold the arm and reproducer horizontally or so when it is tilted back? Mine tilts back until the top of the reproducer rests on the turntable.

Bill

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Congrats Bill- that looks like a fun machine!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

victrolaguy88
Victor Jr

Post by victrolaguy88 »

Hi Bill -

Mine is the same as yours. There is no stop to rest the reproducer on - it instead rests on the turntable. How is the reproducer on it? My Sonora 5 is potmetal but is in pretty decent shape!

Nick

BillH_NJ
Victor II

Post by BillH_NJ »

The pot metal doesn’t look that great, but it is playing ok so I don’t want to mess with it. I’m afraid it might break up if I tried to really take it apart. I have a couple of other No. 5s, but they wouldn’t match the finish on the Philharmonic. From the ad and pricing it looks like the Philharmonic was the top of the line in 1927 at $315. The Symphony was $275 in 1926. I’m really glad I got it—it’s the sixth Sonora in my collection and the second Tonalic (along with the Concert).

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

BillH_NJ wrote:The pot metal doesn’t look that great, but it is playing ok so I don’t want to mess with it. I’m afraid it might break up if I tried to really take it apart. I have a couple of other No. 5s, but they wouldn’t match the finish on the Philharmonic. From the ad and pricing it looks like the Philharmonic was the top of the line in 1927 at $315. The Symphony was $275 in 1926. I’m really glad I got it—it’s the sixth Sonora in my collection and the second Tonalic (along with the Concert).
Congratulations! I had high hopes that someone on the forum would get it. The best looking orthophonics to my eyes are the 8-12, the Tonalic and the Cortez. I don't know which sounds the best, but I would like to own all three.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

BillH_NJ
Victor II

Post by BillH_NJ »

At the moment my Philharmonic and 8-12 are sitting next to each other and the Credenza is in the entry hall on the other side of the wall. I’m happy to have the three of them. I need to figure out where everything is going to go, especially once we expand the dining room table for Thanksgiving and then get ready to put Christmas trees up next month.