The Victor D is gonna sell this time!

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
daverob
Victor I

The Victor D is gonna sell this time!

Post by daverob »

So, I removed the reserve price on my rear mount D. It will sell this weekend (1 bid thus far).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134721253959?m ... media=COPY

Whoops meant to upload a picture.
20230915_230206.jpg
Last edited by daverob on Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: The Victor D is gonna sell this time!

Post by Steve »

Interesting. An HMV Senior Monarch equivalent complete with oak horn has just sold for half that price although the case has some minor issues and the motor is not currently running.

I didn't realise the Victor D / MS were quite so expensive these days.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

When you swing the tonearm towards the center of the turntable does the needle touch the spindle? If not, how close is it?

Thanks, Jerry B.

daverob
Victor I

Post by daverob »

I appreciate your input, though I can't resist imagining your comment with a smarmy, aristocratic, British accent, as we sip our brandys by a roaring Victorian fire. (using the non American spelling of 'realize' might have contributed to that impression).

I'll give you a moment to retrieve your monocle from your snifter before I respond.

It is, indeed, quite interesting that of the 15 American/British/German 'monarch special' gingerbread style cabinet models I have collected, the American ones cost an average of double the others.

I could be mistaken, but I also suspect that you haven't been privy to a review of the 2 year history of international Victor D/ ms purchases on ebay either.

Nevertheless, our respective impression of those historical prices is certain to be edified when the marketplace of ebay determines the machine's final value.

I do apologize if you happen to be British, unspoken text is so void of spirit these days.

Warmly,
Dave

chrisg
Victor III

Post by chrisg »

daverob wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:55 pm So, I removed the reserve price on my rear mount D. It will sell this weekend (1 bid thus far).

For what it's worth I paid $1800 less than one year ago
Attachments
4824.jpeg

daverob
Victor I

Post by daverob »

Jerry B. wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:20 am When you swing the tonearm towards the center of the turntable does the needle touch the spindle? If not, how close is it?

Thanks, Jerry B.
This picture should make it clear...
20230914_123303.jpg
Dave

daverob
Victor I

Post by daverob »

chrisg wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:29 pm
daverob wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:55 pm So, I removed the reserve price on my rear mount D. It will sell this weekend (1 bid thus far).

For what it's worth I paid $1800 less than one year ago
That's a bargain. I'm sure there's rare opportunities to find machines like this. I mean, subtract the horn value, and DIY "barn find" Victor Ds sell for more than 800. Not to mention that there's a "bargain" hindsight bias. My brother in law never tells stories about how much money he didn't save. Though he admittedly likes to troll people with undermining comments and anecdotes...

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

daverob wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:24 pm I appreciate your input, though I can't resist imagining your comment with a smarmy, aristocratic, British accent, as we sip our brandys by a roaring Victorian fire. (using the non American spelling of 'realize' might have contributed to that impression).

I'll give you a moment to retrieve your monocle from your snifter before I respond.

It is, indeed, quite interesting that of the 15 American/British/German 'monarch special' gingerbread style cabinet models I have collected, the American ones cost an average of double the others.

I could be mistaken, but I also suspect that you haven't been privy to a review of the 2 year history of international Victor D/ ms purchases on ebay either.

Nevertheless, our respective impression of those historical prices is certain to be edified when the marketplace of ebay determines the machine's final value.

I do apologize if you happen to be British, unspoken text is so void of spirit these days.

Warmly,
Dave
It's your thread so feel free to de-rail it at anytime but I'm not sure the forum really benefits from such abstract snarky posts like yours. It wasn't necessary!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

daverob wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:24 pm I appreciate your input, though I can't resist imagining your comment with a smarmy, aristocratic, British accent, as we sip our brandys by a roaring Victorian fire. (using the non American spelling of 'realize' might have contributed to that impression).

Warmly,
Dave
Now who's being smarmy and aristocratic? :?

Warmly,
Jerry

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

For me, also stranger, sounded like a humorous, Wodehous-esque excursion around the appreciation of the Phonograph market.. an aimable caricature of old Britishism... and I appreciated it!!! :) :D Even the joke about the monocle... :D :D :D
Inigo