Some high class machines for auction.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Some high class machines for auction.

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:41 am It looks like the Vesper and Three muses gramophones may sell for a small amount maybe.

Only £ 5 bids at the moment. All eyes seem to be on the Expert ?

I would have thought that the Vesper particularly would be very sought after. Seems to have an original Seymour tone-arm maybe - I am unsure about the sound-box though.
Put an EMG badge on that Vesper and it would sell for £1000. But you're right, the Vesper, whilst basically a better quality "early EMG" style of machine, adopting as it does Seymour components and housed in a Waring and Gillows cabinet, no less, will probably struggle to make £50! It's ironic really but such is the nature of collectors and collecting.

I already own a Vesper otherwise I'd go for it myself.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Steve wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:35 am
poodling around wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:41 am It looks like the Vesper and Three muses gramophones may sell for a small amount maybe.

Only £ 5 bids at the moment. All eyes seem to be on the Expert ?

I would have thought that the Vesper particularly would be very sought after. Seems to have an original Seymour tone-arm maybe - I am unsure about the sound-box though.
Put an EMG badge on that Vesper and it would sell for £1000. But you're right, the Vesper, whilst basically a better quality "early EMG" style of machine, adopting as it does Seymour components and housed in a Waring and Gillows cabinet, no less, will probably struggle to make £50! It's ironic really but such is the nature of collectors and collecting.

I already own a Vesper otherwise I'd go for it myself.
Ha ha ! Very true indeed.

I guess the Vesper and Three Muses will probably appear again on ebay in a few weeks time .......... collect only.

Sad really I think and 'all in all' a bit odd.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

I can't believe The Three Muses in immaculate condition only fetched £15!!!!!! Did it really sell or was it withdrawn after failing to meet reserve?

The Expert got to £4400 plus commission which was about expected when you factor in the electric motor in unknown working condition and some mild damage to the horn. However the Vesper flat-lined at £30!!! What happened there?

poodling around
Victor V

Steve wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:52 pm I can't believe The Three Muses in immaculate condition only fetched £15!!!!!! Did it really sell or was it withdrawn after failing to meet reserve?

The Expert got to £4400 plus commission which was about expected when you factor in the electric motor in unknown working condition and some mild damage to the horn. However the Vesper flat-lined at £30!!! What happened there?
I can't believe it either.

I still think some or all of them could appear on ebay over the next week or so.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:35 pm
Steve wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:52 pm I can't believe The Three Muses in immaculate condition only fetched £15!!!!!! Did it really sell or was it withdrawn after failing to meet reserve?

I still think some or all of them could appear on ebay over the next week or so.

No, as I already have a much better Expert, I was never looking to bid on that one, however good it was.

I already have a very similar Vesper, albeit a table gramophone and also a Decca 88, so there was nothing really "new" for my collection there apart from The Three Muses which I should have bought if I had more space. I recall these fetching between £2-300 some years back.

poodling around
Victor V

Steve wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:53 pm

No, as I already have a much better Expert, I was never looking to bid on that one, however good it was.

I already have a very similar Vesper, albeit a table gramophone and also a Decca 88, so there was nothing really "new" for my collection there apart from The Three Muses which I should have bought if I had more space. I recall these fetching between £2-300 some years back.
Interesting.

Well I have a very nice Three Muses soundbox squirreled away some-where waiting for the rest of the gramophone to go with it. :)

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:58 pm
Steve wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:53 pm

Interesting.

Well I have a very nice Three Muses soundbox squirreled away some-where waiting for the rest of the gramophone to go with it. :)
Well, you really needed to buy that machine then. For £15 it could have been yours and then you could have sold your spare soundbox on Ebay for £75. With commissions taken into account, I reckon you could have turned a solitary soundbox into a complete working machine and had £45 in your pocket for the hassle. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Should we request they re-run the auction for you?!! :lol:

PS - looking at it again it appears to be a "base model" only, without the repeating device. Depending on the record you're playing that might be an advantage! :lol: