Decca 50 portable

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
poodling around
Victor V

Decca 50 portable

Post by poodling around »

I thought that this might be of interest.

From the fabulous Jake Score !!!

Two colours and a 'meltrope' style sound-box.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204522831188 ... R6TPyu3wYg

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Decca 50 portable

Post by Phono48 »

Apart from a good clean to the case. this does seem to be a good deal. Not for me though, I hate Meltrope soundboxes!

Barry

poodling around
Victor V

Phono48 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:00 pm Apart from a good clean to the case. this does seem to be a good deal. Not for me though, I hate Meltrope soundboxes!

Barry
Well, I've never heard any-one say that before ! I must admit that I really like the Meltrope ii ........ unless that pesky 'wild' character has had a play around with them ha ha ! Much better than the iii I think. Better construction.

I bet, like me, you like the HMV No. 4 ! ? They always seem to perform well I think.

Do you have a favourite sound-box ?

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I used to have a Decca 50, with a blue exterior and white interior case. Same sound box. It ran second best to my HMV 102, in terms of sound quality, and was far ahead of the other portables I've owned. Very well made and light weight.

OrthoFan

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

poodling around wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:21 pmdo you have a favourite sound-box ?
It would be hard to choose between the Columbia 15A (or the HMV equivalent), the HMV 5a or B, or the "Maestrophonic" as fitted to the Decca 130 portable. It is huge, heavy and extremely ugly, but it sounds superb!

Barry

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I rate the Meltrope the best soundbox this side of an EMG or Expert, and use it as my everyday player on my Expert.
As for the Decca 50, the version to go for is the 50DS with it's double spring motor.

poodling around
Victor V

OrthoFan wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:12 pm I used to have a Decca 50, with a blue exterior and white interior case. Same sound box. It ran second best to my HMV 102, in terms of sound quality, and was far ahead of the other portables I've owned. Very well made and light weight.

OrthoFan
High praise indeed !

I must admit that I am surprised that it hasn't sold yet. I would have purchased it my-self but I have too many portables.

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:55 am I rate the Meltrope the best soundbox this side of an EMG or Expert, and use it as my everyday player on my Expert.
As for the Decca 50, the version to go for is the 50DS with it's double spring motor.
Very interesting.

I have to ask, why don't you use an EMG or Expert sound-box with your Expert gramophone ? (I am just being very 'nosey' here though).

Otherwise, I vaguley seem to remember that you may have mentioned a long time ago that the colour scheme of this Decca 50 is unusual and is more commonly found on another Decca model. I may be completely wrong though and you said no such thing. :)

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

My Expert Minor came to me with a 2-spring EMG soundbox. According to "The EMG Story" the Minor would originally have been supplied with either a 2-spring Expert or a Meltrope III, so the Meltrope is correct for it. I keep the EMG box, which Ian Maxted kindly rebuilt for me, for "best". His last words as he handed it back to me were "don't touch it!".

You are right about the Decca 50 colour scheme. They normally come in a single colour of Black, Blue or Red with a Cream motor board. This eBay example is reminiscent of the Decca 66.

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:31 am My Expert Minor came to me with a 2-spring EMG soundbox. According to "The EMG Story" the Minor would originally have been supplied with either a 2-spring Expert or a Meltrope III, so the Meltrope is correct for it. I keep the EMG box, which Ian Maxted kindly rebuilt for me, for "best". His last words as he handed it back to me were "don't touch it!".

You are right about the Decca 50 colour scheme. They normally come in a single colour of Black, Blue or Red with a Cream motor board. This eBay example is reminiscent of the Decca 66.
Well, I am really glad that I asked.

What you say is not only interesting but also such a wonderful recollection. Thank you.

Oh, glad I remembered correctly about the 'special' colour scheme of this ebay model 50 !