A curious auction lot.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

A curious auction lot.

Post by epigramophone »

Experience has taught me to keep my expectations low when reading auctioneer's descriptions, and here we have a typical example. Whatever the machine on the left is, it is unlikely to be by HMV, but the auctioneers have accepted the label as fact and ignored the capital "N" on the horn grille.
The description also implies that the brass horn is part of the machine. There is only one picture, so we cannot see whether it is attached to the right hand side of the case. Somehow I think it unlikely, but stranger things have happened.
Does anyone recognise the machine? My guess is that it could be Indian.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 2c06ec5bc0
Attachments
A curious lot.jpg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: A curious auction lot.

Post by CarlosV »

My guess is a Napoleon machine - a trade name used by Columbia in Japan.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Interesting thought Carlos. Until now I have only ever seen Napoleon needle tins.
I would still like to see where the other end of the brass horn goes!
Attachments
tin.jpg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

epigramophone wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:23 pm Interesting thought Carlos. Until now I have only ever seen Napoleon needle tins.
I would still like to see where the other end of the brass horn goes!
I don't think the horn fits anywhere, it is probably some mental association of the auctioneer. As to the needle tin, you can see it has a Japanese company name Daishiku. I have a Napoleon tabletop machine, it is quite similar to a Columbia, but with some differences, like the tonearm.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

epigramophone wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:42 am Experience has taught me to keep my expectations low when reading auctioneer's descriptions, and here we have a typical example. Whatever the machine on the left is, it is unlikely to be by HMV, but the auctioneers have accepted the label as fact and ignored the capital "N" on the horn grille.
The description also implies that the brass horn is part of the machine. There is only one picture, so we cannot see whether it is attached to the right hand side of the case. Somehow I think it unlikely, but stranger things have happened.
Does anyone recognise the machine? My guess is that it could be Indian.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 2c06ec5bc0
If the horn was indeed attached to the side of the case, surely it would be then impossible to wind the motor ? Looks like a repro horn , not necessarily of Indian
origin, but as these items are grouped together , they have obviously come from the same vendor / owner who may well have acquired the horn at some point with a view to doing something with it , but never did , who knows ! Dulcetto