Is this worth it?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
alienj
Victor Jr

Is this worth it?

Post by alienj »

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. I'm a newbie... To this site and to this "hobby". This is near me and I'm wondering if it would be worth my while to pursue it. I don't yet know how to tell a fake from a real deal (but I'm learning)! Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... tid=dXMIcH

Raphael
Victor IV

Re: Is this worth it?

Post by Raphael »

Doesn’t matter if it’s a fake (which it isn’t), real, or a hologram, if it works and it’s something you would want, go for it. $100 doesn’t get you very much these days, and you can enjoy the machine, learn from it, and have fun all at the same time.

Raphael

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

I agree with Raphael, he makes a great point.

I enjoy tracking prices in my part of the country. There is a possibility you can find a floor model Victrola a little cheaper these days. However, your timing will have to be perfect or you will have to attend the "right" auction. Plus, if you do scoop one up for the $50 to $90 range, it may not have the right tone arm, reproducer, or be missing hardware, etc. In my humble opinion, $100 isn't bad if it works and plays. Plus, who knows, maybe the seller would entertain an offer of $85 or $90 that would make it even more appealing....

Perhaps I am living in the past (20 years ago... LOL) but I still think a floor model Victrola is worth $200 plus in the retail antique mall setting.... So, it probably isn't a bad investment. By the way, I am not a certified appraiser, just a guy who has been collecting these things "on and off" since the late 1990's.

Good luck!
- Chris
Licensed Funeral Director (NC/VA) Historian, Collector, Enthusiast.....

Author of: Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and The Granby Phonograph

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Classic Victrola good looks. It's good value for your dollar.

Jerry B.

Watanabehi
Victor II

Post by Watanabehi »

alienj wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:56 pm Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. I'm a newbie... To this site and to this "hobby". This is near me and I'm wondering if it would be worth my while to pursue it. I don't yet know how to tell a fake from a real deal (but I'm learning)! Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... tid=dXMIcH
It looks nice and original and cheap. If it works, I should get it.

kiwiatlarge
Victor Jr

Post by kiwiatlarge »

If you have a spare $100 sure! As long as it winds and plays you can't go wrong. Ask to see a video of it playing. From the photos it looks in good condition. These aren't an investment, they are fun working machines to store and play all the 78s that you can't help saying yes to or buying for a $1 in the antique mall. It's a great way to get into the hobby and before you know it you'll have room full of phonographs! The machine I lay the most is my no fuss, reliable 1913 XVI I bought locally from Craigslist.

alienj
Victor Jr

Post by alienj »

Thanks everyone! I'm going to contact the seller about that video of it playing. I just thought it was pretty, actually. I'm afraid I'm enjoying looking at these old "record players" far too much.

SteveBurgess
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Victrola XVI - 1912

Post by SteveBurgess »

I'm too easy. I'd probably pick up any victrola for $100 as long as it has all the parts...working or not.

At this point, I've only walked away from one that I intended to get on arrival.

I just love bringing destroyed machines back from the dead.

EDIT: And I regret it to this day. He dropped the price another $25 and I still am watching it.