Red Leather & Gilt HMV102.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Red Leather & Gilt HMV102.

Post by epigramophone »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355235950229 ... p_homepage

The Red Leather 102 is much rarer than it's 101 predecessor. It was simply too expensive and was discontinued in about 1934.
This example is a project. The outer covering is in poor condition, the record tray is missing and the tonearm support bracket is incomplete. Some of the motor board screws are loose and some are missing, suggesting careless repair work in the past.
Nevertheless it is the first example to appear on eBay for some considerable time, and is worth saving.
Attachments
RL 102.jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Red Leather & Gilt HMV102.

Post by Steve »

I'm so glad I already have a pristine red leather 102 complete with tray, gold plated original key and instructions! The current Ebay example is VERY rough and I'm not even sure how you would restore the case covering!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Red Leather & Gilt HMV102.

Post by epigramophone »

Mine was far from pristine (but better than the eBay example) when I bought it for £50, complete with it's record tray.
The main problem was that a few pieces of the case covering were missing. I filled the damaged areas flush with a red leather restoring paste, then covered them with replica period luggage labels. It may not be a 100% authentic, but it is presentable.
Attachments
IMG_3283.JPG
IMG_3282.JPG
IMG_2012.JPG