Parlophone Pathé Portable ?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
poodling around
Victor V

Parlophone Pathé Portable ?

Post by poodling around »

I can't see why this would be a 'Pathé' - but I am probably missing something obvious ?

Anyway, to me, quite an interesting parlophone gramophone which I haven't seen before.

I also wonder what the 'metal ring' thing is at the 'back left' hand-side' ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166522619985 ... R6DdosCVYw
Attachments
ppa copy.jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Parlophone Pathé Portable ?

Post by Phono48 »

The thing you're asking about is the needle pot. On Parlophone machines they usually have loose, removeable lids. In this case it appears to have gone walk-abouts!

Barry

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"I can't see why this would be a 'Pathé', but I am probably missing something obvious ?"

It's NOT a Pathé - either the seller doesn't know the difference or included "Pathé" in the listing to attract more results in eBay searches...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

NEKTREG
Victor O

Post by NEKTREG »

It‘s a Parlophon Dixi C double spring - nothing Pathé-related
Attachments
FE27D6F7-C92E-4BF7-9CFD-EF4366FAA418.jpeg

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

If you look at all the many photos the vendor has put up, there is one of a brass label attached behind the carrying handle which appears to say Pathé on it, although it's not very clear -- the photo was taken at an awkward angle because of the handle in the way. It could be that Pathé were the agents, and that this machine was originally sold in France. Perhaps it was sold after Pathé and Lindstroem al came under the EMI umbrella.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Oedipus wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:25 am If you look at all the many photos the vendor has put up, there is one of a brass label attached behind the carrying handle which appears to say Pathé on it, although it's not very clear -- the photo was taken at an awkward angle because of the handle in the way. It could be that Pathé were the agents, and that this machine was originally sold in France. Perhaps it was sold after Pathé and Lindstroem al came under the EMI umbrella.
Well noted, it is certainly a Pathé label shown in the photo. Such metal label was utilized in the later production of French Pathé machines. Therefore the advertisement is correct in calling it a Pathé Lindstrom.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

CarlosV wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:47 am
Oedipus wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:25 am If you look at all the many photos the vendor has put up, there is one of a brass label attached behind the carrying handle which appears to say Pathé on it, although it's not very clear -- the photo was taken at an awkward angle because of the handle in the way. It could be that Pathé were the agents, and that this machine was originally sold in France. Perhaps it was sold after Pathé and Lindstroem al came under the EMI umbrella.
Well noted, it is certainly a Pathé label shown in the photo. Such metal label was utilized in the later production of French Pathé machines. Therefore the advertisement is correct in calling it a Pathé Parlophone.

NEKTREG
Victor O

Re: Parlophone Pathé Portable

Post by NEKTREG »

I see - the plate sits where you should wind it up. Probably re-motored

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

NEKTREG wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:35 am I see - the plate sits where you should wind it up. Probably re-motored
That's a good point. So where do you wind it up? I can't see another escutcheon anywhere.

Barry

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Phono48 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:34 pm
NEKTREG wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:35 am I see - the plate sits where you should wind it up. Probably re-motored
That's a good point. So where do you wind it up? I can't see another escutcheon anywhere.

Barry
Is the winding handle sticking out of a hole at an odd angle ?
Attachments
whh.jpg