I wonder what this used to be ?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
poodling around
Victor V

I wonder what this used to be ?

Post by poodling around »

I just thought that before it became a sewing box it may have been something rare ?

The fact that it is a sewing box may have preserved the remains very well ?

Could it be an HMV Junior Monarch ? I have no idea.

It seems to still have the speed control (maybe ?) - I would love to know what it once was !

[urlhttps://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-cata ... dd3b6ece19][/url]
Attachments
wwt.jpg

MikeB
Victor II

Re: I wonder what this used to be ?

Post by MikeB »

I own its cousin.... I think mine was a Monarch. Yours looks like a Monarch Senior. Both hurt my eyes.
Attachments
Victor Sewing Box 2.jpg
Victor sewing box.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

MikeB wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:02 am I own its cousin.... I think mine was a Monarch. Yours looks like a Monarch Senior. Both hurt my eyes.
ha ha ! How are the mighty fallen !

Very interesting and thanks for confirming.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

I vote for Monarch Senior too... the columns appear fluted and the beading around the lid is not rope pattern suggesting a 12 inch turntable machine from around 1905. I was vaguely surprised the auctioneer knows what it is but I guess the G&T banner is still readable.

Could be a useful part for someone looking for a decent case. It doesn’t look that messed around with.

A ladies sewing box is one up from a gentleman’s tool box which is one up from the dump.

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

I should buy the other one. Then I'd have a set. But I don't even sew!

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

Yes, Monarch Senior, by the top moulding and also the dial speed control, the underneath part of which is visible. But Poodling Around's Monarch ('Style No 12') is a much rarer case. It gave way to the familiar Cockleshell after a year or two.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Oedipus wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:33 am Yes, Monarch Senior, by the top moulding and also the dial speed control, the underneath part of which is visible. But Poodling Around's Monarch ('Style No 12') is a much rarer case. It gave way to the familiar Cockleshell after a year or two.
A problem with this site is we often don’t know where people are located. If MikeB is in America (his Avatar picture shows a Victor 1), then could this be the base of a Victor M Monarch? The Style No 12 appears the same to me.