Talking Machine Broadside - eBay

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
KCW
Victor II

Talking Machine Broadside - eBay

Post by KCW »

Really cool piece. Any ideas in the era? 1500$ seems awfully expensive though. I’ve not seen another one like it.
IMG_0551.jpeg

KCW
Victor II

Re: Talking Machine Broadside - eBay

Post by KCW »

Has anyone out there seen anything like this before?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

KCW wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:51 pm Has anyone out there seen anything like this before?
Not exactly like this one, but several variations that are quite similar. Sears, Roebuck, & Co. issued a few different versions in large numbers. (They can typically be had for around $50.) The Entertainment Supply Company (also of Chicago) used very similar broadsides, often with the same text. There were two articles in the APS magazine showing a variety of these broadsides.

George P.

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

Very interesting. I find these absolutely fascinating. Where can I find the APS article? I’d love to see the 50$ version too. I looked around online and found an interesting one from 1903 talking about Edison specifically. What phonograph would they be using in a concert hall in 1903? A concert? Could it really project that well? I have an early Edison Concert with a pretty big horn and it’s not too loud!
IMG_0552.jpeg

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

I read the broadside closely and it appears they mention that the phonograph used was an Edison Concert. I find it very hard to believe that this would project enough for an entire music hall. I know that this is what was done, but it seems that it would be heard, but not very welll!

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I have a couple of those.edisonplayer.

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

The Edison ones? They seem very rare!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

The only thing that seems unusual about this one is the reference to "Talks Talk" which is on an early Berliner brochure that Shawn reproduced several years ago... This may be from a Berliner exhibition.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 8.37.51 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 8.37.51 PM.png (375.13 KiB) Viewed 269 times
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

I think it’s interesting enough that I would buy it if I could afford it! As an Edison collector though, I really like that Edison one though. But 4500$ is way out of the question.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

KCW wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:57 am I read the broadside closely and it appears they mention that the phonograph used was an Edison Concert. I find it very hard to believe that this would project enough for an entire music hall. I know that this is what was done, but it seems that it would be heard, but not very welll!
In an era predating microphones and amplifiers, perhaps folks were more accustomed to low volume and straining to hear. I think of our church, built in 1889. Even with a great sound system, it's a bit difficult to hear things towards the back of the congregation. What must it have been like in 1889? (And in Latin, no less...)