AN EDISON OPERA PHONOGRAPH, type SM, model A

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
poodling around
Victor V

AN EDISON OPERA PHONOGRAPH, type SM, model A

Post by poodling around »

I don't know anything about phonographs but I think that the Edison Opera model is thought very highly of by Epigramophone and others maybe ?

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... af1832ceb9

There are many other lots - with lots and lots and lots of cylinders for sale at this auction !
Attachments
eo.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: AN EDISON OPERA PHONOGRAPH, type SM, model A

Post by epigramophone »

The auctioneer's pre-sale estimate of £500/£700 shows that they have not done their research.
If they had, they would know that Edison Operas usually sell for thousands, not hundreds.
It would be interesting to see what treasure those boxes of cylinders might contain.

There is also a travelling arm Victor estimated at £100/£150 :shock: . Pity the client who consigned these machines.

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:43 am The auctioneer's pre-sale estimate of £500/£700 shows that they have not done their research.
If they had, they would know that Edison Operas usually sell for thousands, not hundreds.
It would be interesting to see what treasure those boxes of cylinders might contain.

There is also a travelling arm Victor estimated at £100/£150 :shock: . Pity the client who consigned these machines.
Very interesting epigramophone.

In one of the boxes I noticed an Ada Jones - which I would like.

Maybe there will be a rare 'Teddy Bears Picnic' hidden away some-where !

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

epigramophone wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:43 am shows that they have not done their research.
Seriously, when do they ever?!

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

That Opera appears to have a radio horn on it. This explains the brass collar, the screw placements on the collar, and the way the Music Master decal sits. Caveat emptor!

Garret

poodling around
Victor V

Garret wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:17 pm That Opera appears to have a radio horn on it. This explains the brass collar, the screw placements on the collar, and the way the Music Master decal sits. Caveat emptor!

Garret
Well, if this is the case then the price may be far lower than usual and someone could get a bit of a bargain maybe.

Every cloud has a silver lining !

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Garret wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:17 pm That Opera appears to have a radio horn on it. This explains the brass collar, the screw placements on the collar, and the way the Music Master decal sits. Caveat emptor!

Garret
Your eyesight must be better than mine. I can see nothing fundamentally wrong with the horn, although it may not be properly attached to the elbow, and I cannot see the Music Master decal at all. That is not surprising as it should be on top of the horn, which is not visible in the one picture on the auction website.
I already own an Opera, but if I was interested in this one I would request more pictures. One is really not good enough.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

epigramophone wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:12 am That is not surprising as it should be on top of the horn, which is not visible in the one picture on the auction website.
The picture is indeed visible on the website. Here it is for reference:

Here is another one from the sale room showing a collar on the horn with a missing screw: Image

What follows is what the radio horn looks likes. Note the decal. I have yet to see a decal placed like this on an original Opera horn, but maybe there is a first time for everything. The screws and issue with the collar on this example also gives me pause, as does the fact that the case lid appears to have been re-polished.

For reference, here are a couple images of an original horn with decal:

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Thank you. Now I see. Many more pictures have been added since I last looked at the listing.
With no bids yet and a very low estimate, this could be a bargain for someone despite it's faults.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

I don’t know if wood Edison horns were ever produced without the cygnet decal in addition to the Music Master decal, but considering the joint, the origin of this horn is suspect to my eyes. It could still be a nice addition to someone’s collection, though!