New Articles on the Antique Phonograph Society Website

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

New Articles on the Antique Phonograph Society Website

Post by phonogfp »

fig4_top_left_mandrel_pulley_detail.jpg
Thanks to the longtime work of Martin Kauper, and his generosity in allowing us to post it, we are pleased to announce two more articles have been added to our website:

http://www.antiquephono.org.

(Once on the Home page, click on "Articles" then click "All" in the drop-down menu.)

These new articles are:

The Spotter's Guide to the Edison Standard Phonograph

and

Edison Standard Patent Plate Notes

These two articles expand upon what is available in Frow, and includes excellent full-color photography as well. Martin's work on the Standard is the most comprehensive available, and the APS thanks him for his determination to make this information available to all collectors.

An Excel spread sheet of Martin's observations of hundreds of particular examples over the past eight years will be added shortly.

George P.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: New Articles on the Antique Phonograph Society Website

Post by fran604g »

George, thanks for the link! Very informative. Now I need one of the each iterations! :o
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

fran604g wrote:George, thanks for the link! Very informative. Now I need one of the each iterations! :o
You're off to a great start! You should post some photos under "Machines" of your latest acquisition and its 4-stringed grandpa. If you do, I'll add my little related item. :)

George P.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

phonogfp wrote:
fran604g wrote:George, thanks for the link! Very informative. Now I need one of the each iterations! :o
You're off to a great start! You should post some photos under "Machines" of your latest acquisition and its 4-stringed grandpa. If you do, I'll add my little related item. :)

George P.
I'll be sure to do that! :D
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

The Excel spreadsheet of Martin's extensive data on Edison Standard Phonographs has now been added to the Spotter's Guide. You'll find it at the end of the article. :)

George P.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

phonogfp wrote:The Excel spreadsheet of Martin's extensive data on Edison Standard Phonographs has now been added to the Spotter's Guide. You'll find it at the end of the article. :)

George P.
Amazing!

My sincere "Thank You" to Martin! I have downloaded the spreadsheet, now I'll have to enter my A (type 2) into it! :D

Fran

RefSeries
Victor I

Post by RefSeries »

Superb article and spreadsheet, thanks. Would it be helpful to provide details of my Standards as well? This would make a great resource of extant machines.

Keith

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

RefSeries wrote:Superb article and spreadsheet, thanks. Would it be helpful to provide details of my Standards as well? This would make a great resource of extant machines.

Keith
Hi Keith.
I'd very much like to add your machines to the list. It's an on-going project. If you can PM pictures of the front, back, top, dataplate and serial number, that would make it easiest for me to enter the data. Even the most humble parts machine, bedplate or single patent plate has the potential of broadening our knowledge of the Standard. I look forward to seeing your machines.
Best Regards,
Martin

@ Everyone -
Thanks for all of the positive feedback. My hope is that the excel sheet becomes a useful tool when restoring, researching or buying a machine.
- M

PeterF
Victor IV

martin’s article on standards

Post by PeterF »

How can we find Martin’s article, please? It’s not readily seen in the many-paged list of articles, and the website search function yields nothing useful either, when it does actually complete the search.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Re: martin’s article on standards

Post by phonogfp »

PeterF wrote:How can we find Martin’s article, please? It’s not readily seen in the many-paged list of articles, and the website search function yields nothing useful either, when it does actually complete the search.
From the APS web site Home Page, just click the "Articles" tab, then "Introductory" on the drop-down. Martin's article will be in the third row, right in the middle.

You can also access the article directly here:

https://www.antiquephono.org/spotters-g ... honograph/

George P.