CLPGS: Next London Meeting - Tuesday 19th August at 19:00 Hr

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Wagnerian
Victor II

CLPGS: Next London Meeting - Tuesday 19th August at 19:00 Hr

Post by Wagnerian »

The next meeting in London of the CLPGS will take place in the Betrand Russel Room of the Conway Hall, 25 Red Lion Square, London, WC1 4RL. (Nearest tube Holborn Picadilly and Central Lines)at 19:00.

Dominic Combe will be presenting "Musical Theatre of the 1910s". Anyone who has heard Dominic present, will know that they are in for a treat. Dominic always gives a thoroughly well researched entertaining programme illustrated with some of the best recordings from his own extensive collection that you will ever hear.

The Programme startes at 19:00 until aprrox 21:15 and admission is free to all. CLPGS members and non-members alike are all welcome.

Come along and prepare to be entertained!

Tim W-W

swarf007
Victor Jr

Re: CLPGS: Next London Meeting - Tuesday 19th August at 19:0

Post by swarf007 »

My first visit to a CLPGS meeting was to hear Dominic Combe talk on "Musical Theatre of the 1910s". It was exciting to get caught up in his enthusiasm for the subject. He wears his learning lightly, and his format of an 'illustrated' concert sustained the hour-and-three-quarters extremely well: illustrated not only with his own expertly digitized recordings, but also with an accompanying 14-page A4 book, replete with high resolution images, full explanatory texts and, of course, a copy of all the recordings on CD. Impressive, amusing, and informative. I never had lectures as rip-roaringly entertaining (and subtly educative) as this when I was a student. Great to see a packed house and receive such a friendly reception as a new member of the Society.

Simon H.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I shall never forget the first time I heard a presentation by Dominic Combe. It was at the CLPGS weekend held at Warwick in September 2009.

Until then I had always wondered what people saw in Edison Diamond Discs. The ones I had heard were spoiled by excessive surface noise and were to my ears inferior to the contemporary Blue Amberol cylinders.

Dominic's presentation "Mr Edison's sublime gift to man" was a revelation. Original discs covering the entire period of production from 1913 to 1929, played on a fine original machine, with a complimentary booklet and CD as a memento of the occasion. I soon understood what all the fuss was about.

Welcome to the CLPGS Simon.

Roger.

Wagnerian
Victor II

Post by Wagnerian »

I'm glad you enjoyed your first visit to a CLPGS meeting. Hopefully you didn't find it too intimidating, we're not a bad bunch when you get used to us! The couple of hours spent in the pub afterwards is always a good ice-breaker, anyway.
As you, and Epigramophone rightly say, Dominic Combe is an excellent communicator and extremely knowledgable about his subject - just get him started about Blue/Purple Amberols! His annual presentations to the Society are always a high spot of the year.

Hope you will be able to make Sean Davies' presentation on the 16th, it should be a fascinating insight from an industry insider as to what may have gone wrong with audio quality in the past few decades.

All the best

Tim W-W