Mysterious Pathé - Triumph?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Hans
Victor Jr

Mysterious Pathé - Triumph?

Post by Hans »

Not so long ago I found an old Pathé Pathéphone, model Triumph. I was trying to find some more information about it, but all of my attempts failed. In my opinion name "Triumph" can be linked with the year of 1918, but unfortunately I couldn't manage to find any old catalogues from that year. I also noticed that my Pathéphone is really similar to Pathé no 28. Does anybody have any idea from which year is that Pathéphone? Maybe somebody has some details or seen another model of this machine?
-Regards
Attachments
p1.jpeg
p2.jpeg
p3.jpeg
p4.jpeg
p5.jpeg
p6.jpeg
p7.jpeg

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Mysterious Pathé - Triumph?

Post by alang »

Hello Hans, welcome to the forum. I have a Pathéphone No.29 that is very similar to your machine. It also seems to have the exact same motor. Please see pictures here http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=7175. I estimate my machine around 1914-1915, based on pictures of similar machines in catalogs. It seems that Pathé used numerals as product designations everywhere, except for the UK. For whatever reason they used "real" names in the UK. So your machine was probably made for the UK market.

Could you please do me a favor when you take your machine apart? As you can see from my pictures, my machine is missing the tonearm rest. I would really appreciate if you could send me detailed pictures of this part including measurements, so I can possible have one recreated. :)

Thanks
Andreas

US PHONO
Victor II

Post by US PHONO »

It is rather like a Pathéphone No 28.

Pathé renamed machines depending on the market, so for examples for France the Pathé cylinder phonograph models had numbers, in England they had names. I presume this was the same with disc machines.
Attachments
p28a.jpg
p28a.jpg (56.84 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
p28b.jpg
p28b.jpg (31.03 KiB) Viewed 2498 times

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

That tonearm rest is interesting because it is hinged... are they all that way?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Hans
Victor Jr

Post by Hans »

Thanks for your answers guys, you help me a lot and showed me which way should I carry on my investigation ;)
Alang, no problem, I will send you detailed pictures and diameters of the tonearm rest as soon as I get back home from work. But you also have to do me a favour ;) As in your case, somebody before me was trying to repair my machine's mechanism, and replaced the original governor springs to "self-made" springs which are made of some strange, [crappy] metal. Could you tell me where did you bought your governor springs? Are there any replacements still available?

alang
VTLA

Post by alang »

Hans wrote:Thanks for your answers guys, you help me a lot and showed me which way should I carry on my investigation ;)
Alang, no problem, I will send you detailed pictures and diameters of the tonearm rest as soon as I get back home from work. But you also have to do me a favour ;) As in your case, somebody before me was trying to repair my machine's mechanism, and replaced the original governor springs to "self-made" springs which are made of some strange, [crappy] metal. Could you tell me where did you bought your governor springs? Are there any replacements still available?
Wow, that seems to be a common problem. At least one of my governor springs was made from a soda can. :roll: I don't remember exactly, but I think I simply replaced them all with some governor springs of the same length that I had in my drawer. You have to make sure that the springs are not too long, otherwise the big round governor weights will start hitting other parts. I always buy different length of governor springs from Ron Sitko, just as spares. Definitely replace all springs with the same type.

Good luck
Andreas

tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Post by tinovanderzwan »

alang wrote:
Hans wrote:Thanks for your answers guys, you help me a lot and showed me which way should I carry on my investigation ;)
Wow, that seems to be a common problem. At least one of my governor springs was made from a soda can. :roll: I don't remember exactly, but I think I simply replaced them all with some governor springs of the same length that I had in my drawer. You have to make sure that the springs are not too long, otherwise the big round governor weights will start hitting other parts. I always buy different length of governor springs from Ron Sitko, just as spares. Definitely replace all springs with the same type.

Good luck
Andreas

i seen that quite a lot too tin can strips cardboard strips and even srings non did work dough
another thing i discovered in one of my Pathé cylinder phono's was a cut-up thin spring from a wind-up toy, this repair did work!

Hans
Victor Jr

Post by Hans »

As I promised here are dimensions and pictures. Sorry that all of the dimension are in metric system but I'm a european.
Alang, if you would have any more problems or doubts with that tonearm rest just let me know :)
Attachments
2-1.jpg
2-2.jpg
2-3.jpg
2-4.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

alang
VTLA

Post by alang »

Hans, thank you very much for the detailed pictures, but I'm afraid you misunderstood what I was interested in. The part that is missing on my Pathéphone is that fork that the tonearm can rest upon when not in use. It seems to have a hinge, so it can fold down behind the machine when not in use.

Thanks again
Andreas

Hans
Victor Jr

Post by Hans »

You are right, sorry for my mistake. I was after work and I was a bit tired.
I will post proper pictures asap. Now when I'm looking on the pictures of your machine's arm I have an impression that part that I gave you a dimensions at the beginning is also missing. The tonearm looks a bit like collapsed in the mount.