Sound of Song - CLPGS

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
RefSeries
Victor I

Sound of Song - CLPGS

Post by RefSeries »

We spent some time yesterday with the BBC filming their 'Sound of Song' documentary, due to screen on BBC4 in January 2015. Four CLPGS people showed disc and cylinder machines and records, and there is to be another couple of days before their team goes elsewhere to film other bits for their story.

The cylinder phonos sounded great, but I would say that...

Keith

Wagnerian
Victor II

Re: Sound of Song - CLPGS

Post by Wagnerian »

The BBC has confirmed that the Sound of Song will be broadcast from the 16th January 2015 on, presumably, BBC4. According to the producer, the first episode will include the phonographs and gramophones, so it should be one to set your recorder for.

I'll post further details such as times etc., when we receive them from the BBC.

All the best

Tim W-W

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I have just bought next week's Radio Times which confirms that the programme will be broadcast on Friday 16 January at 9.00pm on BBC4. It should be good!

Roger.

Wagnerian
Victor II

Post by Wagnerian »

There was also a trailer for it on BB4 last night, just before "Smiley's People" - it should certainly be an interesting watch.

All the best

TW-W

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

If by any chance BBC makes it available on the web, could someone be so kind as to post a link?

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Most BBC programmes are repeated on line at www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer for a couple of weeks after the original transmision date. The service is available in a number of countries, but I don't know whether the USA is one of them.

Wagnerian
Victor II

Post by Wagnerian »

I watched the programme over the weekend and I must say, I throughly enjoyed it. There were some "Howlers" which did grate a bit but over all I thought it was a credible achievement for what was, after all, an entertainment programme and not an Open University lecture. It was good that the producers used proper phonographs and gramophones rather than the usual stock Crapophones.

I'm looking forward to the next installment on Friday

All the best

Tim W-W

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

A member here kindly sent me the link and I really enjoyed it.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I just downloaded and watched this today. Very interesting and nicely done imho. Thanks for calling it to our attention.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Yes, I also watched and thoroughly enjoyed all three episodes over the past two weeks, prompted by Tim's announcement here - many thanks, Tim!

Yes, there were a few obvious "howlers" for the nit-pickers among us (most of us, probably!) but I think the program makers did an excellent job overall. Ironically it was the 2nd and final installments that I actually found the most interesting. Whether you have a particular penchant for modern music or not, it is fascinating to see how we got from Florrie Ford to Lady Gaga in little over 75 years. Technology, both recording and playback, has played a crucial role in the way music is composed, developed, recorded and ultimately heard by listeners over the past century.

If I ever have to answer any questions regarding why I like / collect particular eras of technology and music, I will probably point to this series of programs for the answers.