New Article on APS Website: "Cheney Talking Machines"

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

New Article on APS Website: "Cheney Talking Machines"

Post by phonogfp »

Another ground-breaking article by R.J. Wakeman has just been posted to the Antique Phonograph Society website: The Cheney Talking Machines. Loaded with information on one of the major "off brands," this article contains information unavailable anywhere else, as well as dozens of illustrations.

If you're like me, you may be thinking, "I know everything about Cheney I care to know..." Well, did you know that Cheney sound boxes featured a breech-loading needle loader? And that the Cheney sound box had a "needle adjuster" instead of a sound-muffling device in the cabinet? Cheney also offered four grades of needles which, when multiplied by the three settings on the "needle adjuster" resulted in twelve possible tones! :shock:

And that's only the beginning. After reading this article, I wouldn't mind owning a Cheney! :)

http://www.antiquephono.org/cheney-talk ... j-wakeman/

Next week, the December 2014 issue of The Antique Phonograph will be mailed out to members, and that will bring to a close the first official year of the new organization's operation. Time to renew for 2015! It's easy; either by mail (a renewal form will come with the journal) or online at www.antiquephono.org.

The APS website is attracting new people who are becoming collectors. We're beginning to receive inquiries from major media. New programs are being planned for 2015. Go the "Back Issues" tab of the APS Home Page (http://www.antiquephono.org/back-issues ... honograph/) and check out the subject index of what has been presented in the journal. This is knowledge that will enhance the enjoyment of our hobby, permanently bound on high-quality paper. If you're already a member, we thank you for making all this possible. If you've only visited the website and read a few articles (which we welcome everyone to do!) maybe it's time to be a part of all this. Isn't this the kind or organization you'd like to prosper and encourage the growth of our hobby? :)

I hope everyone finds the Cheney article enjoyable!

Best to all,

George P.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: New Article on APS Website: "Cheney Talking Machines"

Post by estott »

I have one of those 110 Sheraton models- it is HUGE. The horn chamber is so large that the sound passage splits into two separate horns.