A HMV, info needed...

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
snallast
Victor II

A HMV, info needed...

Post by snallast »

Does anyone recognize this model? Year? Which would be the right soundbox? Is the horn rigth for this machine?

Thankful for all advice! Håkan
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: A HMV, info needed...

Post by HisMastersVoice »

I can't imagine this a real HMV product, it looks rather crudely assembled and disproportionate. I could be wrong, but it doesn't look genuine to me.

snallast
Victor II

Post by snallast »

yes it looks like the bottom part is an added one - if you imagine that gone - the proportions look better - no?

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Actually I was referring to the rectangular shape and oddly small turntable. And it looks as though the tonearm is a bit short for the needle to align with the spindle of the reproducer were attached. I flipped through my "His Master's Gramophone" book and did not see anything like this.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I agree that the case looks a bit disproportional with the small turntable, but otherwise it seems too well made for a fake. At least the parts look legit. Of course, if it's not a UK model it would not be listed in the HMV book. Is it known what language the decal is, that could point to the country of origin?

To answer the second question: based on the other parts a nickel plated "His Master's Voice" (or different language) Exhibition reproducer would be correct, probably made the USA.

Andreas

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

The decal seems very fresh; almost new.

Here is a video of this style of horn on an HMV No. 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG-xJ6UQwgg

snallast
Victor II

Post by snallast »

As of now I can´t get closer to the decal (I can´t get better pictures yet) - but looking at it it´s not "La voz de su amo" or Die stimme... or La voix de son... and those are about the only variations I´ve seen in languages on decals. Maybe it is new - except the rest of the box looks well preserved too, the only thing that looks decrepit is the felt on the small turntable...

Well thanks for your thoughts, I´ll get back here if I get more information of any kind! This forum is so great! Wish you all happy holydays coming up!

Håkan

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

alang wrote:Is it known what language the decal is, that could point to the country of origin?
It appears to say "His Master's Voice" judging by the spacing of the words.
2.JPG
2.JPG (70.47 KiB) Viewed 2422 times

snallast
Victor II

Post by snallast »

It appears to say "His Master's Voice" judging by the spacing of the words.
I agree!

And also I wonder if what´s underneath isn´t simply a drawer someone added - maybe for records? Looks like it would come out...

Without the bottom part the machine looks more proportioned?
Attachments
1bbb.jpg
1bb.jpg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

It is not a fake, it is a Spanish HMV. Their cases were quite unique. The soundbox for this would be an HMV exhibition.