Early Victor Needle Packets

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone78
Victor VI

Early Victor Needle Packets

Post by gramophone78 »

A recent discovery has me shaking my head. More or less because I just realized Victor had at least two early "black & gold" type needle packets. All along I assumed there was only the one type (on the right).

After finding a couple packets recently, I read the back only to find Victor's old head office location AND the statement

"use the same point once unless you "wish" to play the same record again".

Not the standard Camden NJ location or "Use each point only once".

So, this make me wonder if there are other early Victor packet variations and can we see them please.

I wonder if the same manufacturer made the early Canadian Berliner packets...??.
Early Victor Needle Packets (1).JPG
Early Victor Needle Packets (2).JPG
Early Canadian Berliner Needle Packet (1).JPG
Early Canadian Berliner Needle Packet (2).JPG

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Early Victor Needle Packets

Post by Curt A »

Just wondering... since the graphics on the left pack seem to resemble the overstuffed "Chinese Nippers", compared to the known original on the right - and the strange wording on the package ("unless 'it is wished' to use the same record again.") are the Chinese reproducing these packs? Maybe not, but it wouldn't surprise me... reproduction needle tins show up on eBay in Germany and France.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

An interesting side note regarding the Commonwealth Trust building in Philadelphia. I believe this was Victor's second location for their sales office with the move in 1903-04. Victor moved out from this location around 1905. So, for a short time this address was added to some of their products.

In my 1905-06 Victor catalog, it shows this very needle packet (sort of) with the "wished" wording. So, I guess it fits that timeline. However, you can just make out a "J" in N.J. before U.S.A. The type set also matches the company name and address on the needle packet on the right with "Camden N.J. U.S.A.".

So, the "wished" wording phase carried over with the Camden location or post 1905.

Given these dates,there must be an even earlier type of needle packet or two that predates this...??.

Anyone have other early ones to show off...???.... ;).
1905-06 Victor Catalog.JPG

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

It certainly looks to be original... but like you, I have never run into this before.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Another variation.....
Needle Packet.jpg
Needle Packet.jpg (83.98 KiB) Viewed 1302 times

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

Here's a couple more variations of that needle pack. On one the front of the pack has a single line 1904 patent info and the phono case is blank, no Victor or graining. On the back it states "average content of a hundred needles"

On the other packet the front has a two line 1904 patent info and the phono case has wood grain only, the back is the common printing.

Best Regards, Larry
P1090524.jpg
P1090530.jpg

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Another variation I just picked up.
Victor Needle Packet (1).JPG
Victor Needle Packet (2).JPG

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

For those who may care....I have just discovered yet another early Victor needle packet. These are turning out to be a whole new collection... :oops: :lol:.

What is interesting in this new packet (top left corner) is, Victor's first location in Philadelphia the "Stephen Girard Building". Also, the way the packet is constructed. Unlike any of the others.

My goodness.....how many different versions of the black & gold packet are there...?? :roll:.
Victor Needle Packets (1).JPG
Victor Needle Packets (2).JPG